• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan / Alt Belt Suggestions

The Rebel

Local time
10:49 PM
Reaction score
Looking to replace mine as one of them is squeaking, so might as well replace both.

Currently I've got Gates on mine. What's everybody else using and do they make date coded ones for a 68 charger built on Jan of 68?

There is a reproduction Mopar belt available, but it has a very poor reputation for not staying in place under moderate to higher RPM usage. If the car is only used moderately and you keep an eye on the belts for the proper tension, you can get by with them.

Otherwise, your pretty much limited to what you can locate through Gates or other manufactures. Sometimes you can still find at swap meets original belts that were available up until a couple of years ago. These belts are not OE correct, but they fit and function great.

Finding NOS original belts in the 68 style with the part number and vendor codes heat stamped into the material will cost you a couple hundred dollars per belt even if you can find them.

The Quanta reproduction belts are mainly for looks......As Richard stated high RPM's and they will flip over and fly off...Cruising around you are ok....The later Mopar belts made in the 80's and 90's are ideal but are hard to find.......The last ones I purchased were from AMS obsolete.....

Original NOS belts PN and dated will cost you significantly for the 68-70 year......If your lucky to find one......440 belts go for 500 plus......383 belts probably around what Richard said....

Thanks guys for the info, greatly appreciate it. Looks like I'll stick modern day belts.

I will only use Gates or Dayco belts.

I have had great results with the Goodyear Gatorbacks (the “quiet belt”), now made by continental. I bought mine 3 yrs ago and not sure if they are still offered but they are thicker with more pulley contact by the V shape of the belt due to the increased thickness. More contact = less squeal. They work great. Anyone else running these?

Many times it is not the belt that is cause of the noise.
Pulleys get a glaze on them also. remove the belt and take a scotch bright pad to the belt groves.

Thanks guys. Here's pic's of my belts.

Fan / Alt = 7450 Gates XL 11A1145. In Red Letters are 226ET 32,33,34

Fan / PS = 9447 Gates Green Strip XL 13A1130 In Red letters looks to say 445ET but hard to read as the numbers are almost gone.

20190515_072600.jpg
20190515_072457.jpg
20190517_063357.jpg 20190517_063557.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve been running Continental belts and hoses on the last few projects. Good prices from Rock Auto.

Continental, Gates, all good for use.
I never considered to spend 100's on factory correct belts.
They are wear parts and i change them yearly, few bucks.
Bear in mind when installing new ones you might get some slip after time as the belt stretches a bit.
Do not tighten too much as this puts excessive load on the pump/alternator bearings.
I always tighten them by feeling, if they slip tighten bit by bit until they stop slipping.
As 1967coronet states, glazed pulley's also are not good, specially the chromed pulley's can be too smooth for the belt to get good grip and require some roughen up with scotch bright pads or so.

Spend some time aligning the components up. If you stand back some and look, you'll see things are crooked. You can't do anything about the water pump or crank pulley, unless they are bent, but you can shim the other accessories around/ move bracket holes by welding and or filing. Big sources of squeaks and tossed belts.

Now that the weather has warmed up, slightly. I think my issue was the cool damp temps. I did clean up the pulleys as well.

When I had the engine out of my 70 Challenger so I could paint the car and engine compartment, I spent time aligning things up. Tougher to do when in but doable.

Hi Guys !

I'm just actualizing the topic 'cause my 72 satellite sebring plus with 400ci b engine has got a squeaky fan belt. Looking at some website I have the feeling my fan belt is not original one. I have currently mounted a Gates belt model 6226mc, can someone tells me if it is the right model or if I should purshase another one ?

Thank you !!

I have recently been having belt noise from my pair of AC/ALT/Crank over 2200RPM. I replaced the belts and still have the noise. Alignment looks good but all belts (old and new) look like they are not flush with the outside of the pulley by maybe 2-3 mm. Is that normal? The old belts ran good for more than 6000 miles before noise started.
Doesn't sound like a squeel like it's slipping. Not bearing noise either. Everything is tight.

I agree with 68 sport satellite, replaced the gates with continentals . got them at summit a few months ago and they are quiet

Auto Transport Service
Back