• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan belt puzzle?

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:14 AM
Reaction score
Last Saturday evening coming home from our Sonic cruise in, I heard a thunk and a few minutes later noticed my temperature heading up. My wife and I pulled over in a parking lot and I found the fan belt was chewed in two and hanging off. I was no where's near a auto store and it was starting to get dark so I called my insurance tow service. While waiting a young guy came by and offered to take me down the road to an auto store to get a belt and since the tow wait was going to be 2 hrs and I had tools in the car, I took him up on it.

I got a toothed belt of proper length and slipped it on it minutes. This is an AC car so the belt goes around the crank pulley to the water pump to an idler pulley. Fired it up and seemed OK. The belt runs true - all my pulleys are carefully aligned. No strange noises. I thanked the guy and gave him some money for his help and shut the hood. As I was walking back to the door - whang - bad noises. Opened the hood and the new belt was dissected lengthwise and crosswise and had managed to throw the alternator belts off the pulley and roll my PS belt. So - wait for the tow we did.

I ordered some more Quantas restoration belts this morning, but then I cleaned the pulleys and put another used, tooth belt I had that was on the car when I bought it. I've just finished running the car in the driveway for about half an hour and everything seems fine. I reved it up, killed it and re-started and it's doing fine??? So what was the problem???

The first belt looks like someone took a big bite out of it - but the rest looks fine.

The second belt lasted about 3 minutes and look at it.

The water pump pulley and the fan blades are coated in rubber so it kind of looks like the water pump was the center of the problem. The pump and idler all seem tight and spin smoothly and no strange noises. The only thing I can think of that would take a bite out of that belt was if the water pump bearing seized up, stopping the belt and the crank pulley just ground a hole in it. I don't think the idler bearing seizing up for a moment would stop the belt from running. But what destroyed the second, new belt - I can't figure.

Now I don't know if I can trust taking the car out. Anyone seen anything like this?

Might have something floating around in cooling system.

Hadn't thought of that. Hung up the impeller. I took a close look at the first belt and on both sides leading up to the break, the square shoulder of the bottom of the belt is tapered to a point just before the big missing bite. Really makes me think the water pump stopped, the belt having more purchase on the water pump pulley stopped and the crank pulley just kept spinning and wore a big hole in it. The belt does have more wrap around the water pump pulley than the balancer pulley. About the only thing that makes sense.

Pulled the water pump today and found the cavity was clean with no debris. So, if something got in there and stopped the impeller it must have got kicked on through the thermostat which is hard to believe. The pump looks good - very few miles on it. The belt definitely looks like it got chewed up by a pulley spinning against it while the belt was stationary. Guess I'll bolt it back together and see what happens.

Auto Transport Service
Back