• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan clutch on 64 Dodge

Ski 61701

Local time
12:41 AM
Reaction score
I went and ordered the stubby fan clutch and a replacement fan blade to put in my 64. I have a rb in it and the oem 3 core radiator. As my luck goes, with the radiator mounted I could not get the clutch /fan assy in. Removed the rad installed clutch assy on water pump, weasled rad back in and sure enough I have about 1/8 in clearance from the leading edge of fan clutch to rad core. Any suggestions, I really dont want to go back to a fixed blade fan if I can avoid it. But obviously cant run it that close to rad due to motor movement.

I went and ordered the stubby fan clutch and a replacement fan blade to put in my 64. I have a rb in it and the oem 3 core radiator. As my luck goes, with the radiator mounted I could not get the clutch /fan assy in. Removed the rad installed clutch assy on water pump, weasled rad back in and sure enough I have about 1/8 in clearance from the leading edge of fan clutch to rad core. Any suggestions, I really dont want to go back to a fixed blade fan if I can avoid it. But obviously cant run it that close to rad due to motor movement.
What fan clutch you need to use the Jaguar one. Is your Radiator recored or original sometime they mount the new core to far forward in the radiator brackets.

Its the 2947 the hvy duty version of the jag clutch. The mounting tabs of the rad core that come up the sides and wrap onto the top tank are centered. I have about an inch gap between the top tank and the core support. If i was to unsolder the rad side straps and push the top towards the core support. The tabs would be so far off of the top tank, I'd lose about a 1/3 of the tab to mount to top tank. If i bashed the tab i could solder the bracket, but it would look horrible. Its a factory 3 core rad 2445637 hvy duty rad

Dennis, yes thats the one I got, although it appears that Murray must have bought hayden out, mine came in a murray box. The measurements match that of the hayden advertisement. I need a 1/2 extra and all would be good. If anyone has this set up in an early b body w a bb would you pls take a pic or 2 of your set up, im at a loss here.
Thanks

Dennis, yes thats the one I got, although it appears that Murray must have bought hayden out, mine came in a murray box. The measurements match that of the hayden advertisement. I need a 1/2 extra and all would be good. If anyone has this set up in an early b body w a bb would you pls take a pic or 2 of your set up, im at a loss here.
Thanks
I have that exact setup an original 426 streetwedge car it is in storage right now for winter I will see if I have any pictures. I have the same radiator and had it recored with four core unit but I had the core moved in the brackets so the core would be close to the core support as possible. I also have another 037 big block radiator can you post a picture of yours in relation to brackets.

If you put in a later k frame, your problem would be solved. Just an FYI!

Too late for the k member, motor is installed. Ill get some pics tomorrow of the radiator installed so people can see whats going on.

20170114_015125.jpg

It's never too late. Lol!!!

This thing has been a challenge to say the least. Here I was hoping the short clutch would work without reinventing the wheel, nope nada ziltch. I eant want to get this figured out, I still need to plumb to trans cooler. I made a bracket for it the other night, I got a 45 deg fitting to put on return line so I can clear the petcock. Im trying to use existing holes to route hard lines

Ive taken a couple of pics. One of which is its on a cart showing engine side to show its flush with top and bottom tank. Next couple of pics are of it in the car. Pass side sticks out about 3/4 in from core support and drivers side sticks out about 1/2 from core support

20170201_223447.jpg 20170201_223433.jpg 20170201_223412.jpg

Hey Ski do you browse Moshers site? there's a lot of photos of his projects and it looks like he uses the stubby fan clutch on a few of them. May be of some help.

http://www.moparsbymosher.com/
Need to see where it fits in the radiator brackets that is critical you are only going to get about 3/4 of an inch clearance my has been that way for 4 years no problems. Looks like you need to move the core toward front of the car in the brackets probably needs to be re done ask your radiator guy if he can move it.

On a related note, don't smoke the tires in reverse. The fan could go through the radiator depending on circumstances with that load. I have proof.

Need to see where it fits in the radiator brackets that is critical you are only going to get about 3/4 of an inch clearance my has been that way for 4 years no problems. Looks like you need to move the core toward front of the car in the brackets probably needs to be re done ask your radiator guy if he can move it.

Ive looked at the brackets and even dug up extra brackets and a completely different radiator thinking maybe Chrysler made different brackets for 22in rads. No such luck the pass side bracket is 4in wide and the drivers side is 3.25 in wide. Can you send me pics of what your rad guy did to move the brackets? Ive looked at it and if i was to move mine it looks like the pass side bracket at the top tank would have to be drastically cut due to the now excess material having nowhere to be attached.
Kinda miffed right now, i did stop at Moshers last summer (very nice group of guys there btw) asked all kinds of questions but none pertaining to fan clutch uurrgh. Ive been looking around for clear close up pics to get an idea whats been done.
Thanks for everyones input with this, especially doing burnouts in reverse yikes

I hope you can get this sorted.

Are you sure your clutch is Hayden p/n 2947? Tried measuring it against the manuf. specs to be sure its correct?

Last edited:
Sorry for crap pic from underneath, but car on hoist sans wheels/brakes.

I'm using Hayden 2765, the standard duty Jag part, specified at 2.67" height, and I have around 3/4" clearance from clutch to rad core.

Hayden 2947 specified height is 2.71", so for you to have 1/8" clearance, your water pump flange is around 5/8" closer to radiator than mine.

I'll see if I can dig up or take another shot from top showing rad core/mount relationship...

20170209_101034.jpg

Ok, here is pic of rad/bracket/core support. Is perhaps your water pump flange not pressed on to the right spot? Pulley alignment would tell you...

Oh, forgot to say earlier, your MW looks sweet!!

20170209_104634.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back