• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Clutch Too Close to Radiator

dmoore

Mopar to the end
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:27 AM
Reaction score
So I knew some time ago this issue would come up...we always do. Here goes. 64 Sport Fury 426, correct Glen Ray 3 core radiator. With the adjustment maxed out I recently decided to replace my stretched & squealing alternator belt with a new one..I had forgot I installed the radiator lastly after installing what I thought/think is the correct? fan clutch. It was very tight with probably less than a half inch between it and radiator. So tight that now I cannot remove the alt belt. I have the original factory steel fan shroud which is immaterial. I cannot remove the fan clutch off of the studs without contacting the core. I will have to remove the radiator and figure out if in fact I have the correct fan clutch. Anyone with this setup ever have this issue?

20210329_211452.jpg 20210329_211452.jpg 20210329_211607.jpg

So I knew some time ago this issue would come up...we always do. Here goes. 64 Sport Fury 426, correct Glen Ray 3 core radiator. With the adjustment maxed out I recently decided to replace my stretched & squealing alternator belt with a new one..I had forgot I installed the radiator lastly after installing what I thought/think is the correct? fan clutch. It was very tight with probably less than a half inch between it and radiator. So tight that now I cannot remove the alt belt. I have the original factory steel fan shroud which is immaterial. I cannot remove the fan clutch off of the studs with contacting the core. I will have to remove the radiator and figure out if in fact I have the correct fan clutch. Anyone with this setup ever have this issue?

View attachment 1090508 View attachment 1090509 View attachment 1090510
Nice Glen Ray. I wouldn't want to damage it if things get loose. I like clutch fans but a lot of these cars came with a rigid fan and no clutch so there was no issue. Your call. I have one that is close as well. I might put the original rigid fan back on.

Last edited:
Clutch fans just don’t work for me. Flex fan and whichever spacer works great and nothing to grenade. Less weight and fewer moving parts. Just my opinion and experience and that’s all.

:xscuseless:

AB438FDA-DB23-4318-8488-B0EEDE0B1046.jpeg 35D94BC9-8B67-43CC-AE81-43EF825629C6.jpeg 6EAEDB05-4CC4-42E6-B4CE-CF459A69C55D.jpeg 4C734F97-9402-4211-9E27-4317AF664A12.jpeg 2D6F8B79-143A-40B1-AA90-73CD4FCAFBF0.jpeg CF72715D-19B3-454B-A35D-BB0E78D7FBE4.jpeg

So I knew some time ago this issue would come up...we always do. Here goes. 64 Sport Fury 426, correct Glen Ray 3 core radiator. With the adjustment maxed out I recently decided to replace my stretched & squealing alternator belt with a new one..I had forgot I installed the radiator lastly after installing what I thought/think is the correct? fan clutch. It was very tight with probably less than a half inch between it and radiator. So tight that now I cannot remove the alt belt. I have the original factory steel fan shroud which is immaterial. I cannot remove the fan clutch off of the studs without contacting the core. I will have to remove the radiator and figure out if in fact I have the correct fan clutch. Anyone with this setup ever have this issue?

View attachment 1090508 View attachment 1090509 View attachment 1090510
Read through this thread. THere's some short clutched listed. https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/clutch-fan-gap-too-short.461308/

426-S came factory with fan clutch..I think I just need to try and locate the correct piece. I have to go back and look to see where I purchased this one, NAPA I believe...the shortest one I could find at that time.

And I'm not sure if studs with nuts were used or just bolts.

Also I am fairly certain the clutch mounting to pulley face used "closed" holes not the later aftermarket open.

The additional core should not be a problem I would think.

Just me but I would go back to the fixed fan and gain aprox a inch back.

I need to keep the fan as deep into the shroud as possible for obvious reasons. My only hope is to locate the correct fan clutch when you get right down to it.

I need to keep the fan as deep into the shroud as possible for obvious reasons. My only hope is to locate the correct fan clutch when you get right down to it.

To me that clutch on it right now looks like the short hayden one.

Clutch fans just don’t work for me. Flex fan and whichever spacer works great and nothing to grenade.
This is simply not true. Flex fans can - and do - "grenade", sometimes with truly dangerous results.
At the least, they damage other surrounding parts (like high-dollar radiators) when they come apart.
You wouldn't want to be under the hood doing anything when one did, that's for sure.

The additional core should not be a problem I would think.

That would depend on where the original setup was minus the extra core width, no? If you were at 3/4" clearance back then, you're likely gonna' be in trouble.

If the shortest Hayden "Jaguar" clutch doesn't get you at least 3/4" clear at the bottom of the fan
sweep, you can't have a clutch fan setup, that simple.
There are several threads on here about this exact scenario, mine included.
In my case, a 3" thick Griffin radiator meant no clutch fan for me, which was fine - I simply wound up
with an 18" 7-blade fan in the factory shroud, half out and half in as it should be.
Works great.

hda-2947_yv_xl.jpg

I will measure what I have against this Hayden 2947.

Jaguar fan clutch is the way to go. Hayden produces two versions now, get the HD one. Make sure to adjust the thermal clutch before installing, which will provide increased engagement at lower operating temperatures, very simple to do. The issue without running a clutch, is that a mechanical fan can rob upwards of 30-HP at higher engine speeds, while there is minimal losses running a clutch fan. We do so much to increase the power of these old engines, it's literally a cam swap in reverse going from a clutch fan to straight mechanical.

Auto Transport Service
Back