• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Idler pulley on AC cars

lemondana

Local time
10:49 AM
Reaction score
IMG_1516[1].JPG
IMG_1515[2].JPG
IMG_1518[1].JPG
IMG_1518[1].JPG
IMG_1518[1].JPG
IMG_1518[1].JPG
IMG_1512[1].JPG
IMG_1513[1].JPG
IMG_1514[1].JPG
I have found a cheaper alternative to the reproduction fan idler pulley. Any of us that have the AC equipped cars usually have one with a rough bearing. I was going through a Goodyear tensioner and pulley catalog recently and found a very good replacement. Although it does not have the bearing cover on the outside. I have looked quite extensively for this shoulder bolt that is used. I could not find one. I had several idler brackets with bad bearings. I tried to get the cap off, but it is fused on with some copper colored substance. I could not get one off without ruining the cap. So here goes. You have to cut the cap off, I used a die grinder with a small wheel. Then the bolt comes right out. The new pulley is offset just a little to one side, so you have to match it to your pulley. Continental bought Goodyears Industrial Products. So there is no more Goodyear belts or hose-it is now Continental. The part number for the Continental pulley is 49034, they are available on Rockauto for $12.00 I believe. Sorry, my pictures did not end up in order. I hope this is of use to anybody. If you have an extra pulley, get the shoulder bolt out, get a new pulley, put it in the box, just change the pulley when you need to without having coolant run all over.

Great info for us AC guys. I'd be curious as to how many like myself ruined a pulley trying to get it apart. I'm going to order one right now incase the one I used doesn't work out. I used the one from a Vintage.

I’ve got a 383 ac car. Belts squeal. Where do you mount the idler pulley? Got any pics of placement?

Auto Transport Service
Back