• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FBO advance spring kit

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:56 AM
Reaction score
Helping a friend with tuning his Hemi Distributor (CAP model) with an FBO advance plate and FBO spring kit that he provided. I did this about 2 years ago for my 440 with a Hemi dual point but I can't find any of my notes as to what I ended up using for springs. I'm not sure I even used the FBO springs in it although I had them on hand - I have since recurved the distributor in my 427 Chevy and I'm not sure I remember what I used in each one.

The FBO spring kit look like Chevy springs to me and seem too short. I think it says the black ones are the lightest and he wants a moderately fast curve all in by around 2500 - 2800 rpm. I think they recommend using equal springs on both weights with the FBO advance plate for smooth operation. This stock distributor when I rebuilt it had a real light spring on one weight and one of those heavy, long loop springs that apparently don't even come into play until high rpm when most advance is in. I think the FBO black springs are too short and as a result too stiff. Tempted to stretch them a little to take some tension off.

Anyone have any experience with this spring kit and what rpm they are all in at?

Helping a friend with tuning his Hemi Distributor (CAP model) with an FBO advance plate and FBO spring kit that he provided. I did this about 2 years ago for my 440 with a Hemi dual point but I can't find any of my notes as to what I ended up using for springs. I'm not sure I even used the FBO springs in it although I had them on hand - I have since recurved the distributor in my 427 Chevy and I'm not sure I remember what I used in each one.

The FBO spring kit look like Chevy springs to me and seem too short. I think it says the black ones are the lightest and he wants a moderately fast curve all in by around 2500 - 2800 rpm. I think they recommend using equal springs on both weights with the FBO advance plate for smooth operation. This stock distributor when I rebuilt it had a real light spring on one weight and one of those heavy, long loop springs that apparently don't even come into play until high rpm when most advance is in. I think the FBO black springs are too short and as a result too stiff. Tempted to stretch them a little to take some tension off.

Anyone have any experience with this spring kit and what rpm they are all in at?
Sorry to butt in but your mail box is full. Last may you in a post mentioned the length and shims in your friend's Hemi dist.. If it's possible is there any way you could measure the diameter of the spring? I'm in need of a spring for a 66 to 69 vacuum diaphragm. A picture of spring would be great.
Thank you.

Last edited:
I am using them on a SB and RB. The medium springs have a nice fast curve so I'm sure the light ones should have a fast enough advance rate for most anyone.

Last edited:
Sorry to butt in but your mail box is full. Last may you in a post mentioned the length and shims in your friend's Hemi dist.. If it's possible is there any way you could measure the diameter of the spring? I'm in need of a spring for a 66 to 69 vacuum diaphragm. A picture of spring would be great.
Thank you.

Are you speaking of inside the vacuum advance unit Fran? If so, I'll have to see if I can find it in my boxes.

I am using them on a SB and RB. The medium springs have a nice fast curve so I'm sure the light ones should have a fast enough for most anyone.

Are you speaking of the FBO or the Mr. Gasket springs? (Not sure there's any difference). I have a bunch of old Chev springs from Mr. Gasket, Accell, etc but thought I would try to use these FBO springs he bought. It seems they have to be stretched quite a bit to install on a Mopar which leaves them under a lot of tension.

I am using them on a SB and RB. The medium springs have a nice fast curve so I'm sure the light ones should have a fast enough for most anyone.
You really have to watch the super light springs from MP or Mr. Gasket. They drive the advance full around 1200 or so, great for the strip not so much a cruiser.

Are you speaking of the FBO or the Mr. Gasket springs? (Not sure there's any difference). I have a bunch of old Chev springs from Mr. Gasket, Accell, etc but thought I would try to use these FBO springs he bought. It seems they have to be stretched quite a bit to install on a Mopar which leaves them under a lot of tension.
Are you using an FBO spring kit on a Mopar distributor? If so, those springs are designed for Mopar. Thousands bought n used by Mopar people. The Silver spring pair in the FBO kit is the heavy spring set. Depending on distributor advance weights, should be all in around 3k.

Last edited:
argtx.JPG
Are you speaking of inside the vacuum advance unit Fran? If so, I'll have to see if I can find it in my boxes.
Yes that's the one. If you have an extra spring are you willing to sell it? PM me if you would sell it.
This a bookmark of a post of yours, above is the mention of the spring.

Last edited:
We must be talking about 2 different things. The springs I have are in the FBO zip lock bag with their card and a small sheet that says Spring Rates. It says Lightest - Black, Medium - Grey, Strongest - Silver.

The black ones are definitely the weakest of the bunch but once stretched out to install they are pretty stiff.

I guess we will give them a try. It's nothing new to having to make my best guess on this stuff and plug the distributor in and see what we have with a dial back timing light and then pull it to make another adjustment.

View attachment 977429
Yes that's the one. If you have an extra spring are you willing to sell it? PM me if you would sell it.
This a bookmark of a post of yours, above is the mention of the spring.

Let me look Fran. I should still have it but after misplacing my notes on settings when I rebuilt that distributor I hesitate to promise I do.

Yes, that's the same thing. Black ones are the lightest springs.

I'm more used to GM distributors and Mopar advance weights appear much heavier than GM distributor weights so maybe that makes up for the additional tension.

Last edited:
They used to be the same thing. I have since been using the Mr. gasket set when I matched them up and found they were the same. Even though they are stretched out more, they are nothing compared to the stock heavy spring in Mopar distributors.

Last edited:
I found my bag on FBO springs I bought last year for another distributor and they and the index card are completely different. Black are the strongest in it. I think bronze colored are the weakest. I guess it varies depending on the springs he has in stock.

Auto Transport Service
Back