• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Federal Power Steering Pump Rebuild

The Rebel

Local time
4:15 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys. My pump's pully shaft needs to be replaced & I'm looking to for a detailed guide on how to rebuild this myself and the best place to get the part's / kit.

65DAA883-1859-4ACC-8F45-92C366EA22BB.jpeg

Okay, now that I got that out of my system.

Do you need a seal or is the shaft grooved? I was able to get get rebuild kits on Rock Auto. It’s not super difficult. You just need a puller for the pulley.

It's the original pump that came with the car from the factory. I haven't pulled it off the car yet so not sure. I'll have to get a puller for the pully as well.

Mine just needed seals. I did two of them now. Take the pulley off and you’ll need to dig out the old one, tap the new one in place. Good time to take the pump apart and clean it, paint everything.

those are difficult pumps to rebuild and the kits can be tough to find. The shaft is not threaded to reinstall the pulley.

What makes it so difficult. Seems pretty easy. Kits seem available as well but need to find the shaft.

those are difficult pumps to rebuild and the kits can be tough to find. The shaft is not threaded to reinstall the pulley.

The shaft could maybe spray welded and remachined?$$
Try to find another pump for parts?

They are easy but you have to press the pulley back on the shaft.

Why do you need a new shaft?

I forgot to mention earlier that you’ll need to remove the pump housing to press the pulley back on. You’ll crush the can if you try to press it back on.

I was out on the road and my ps hose blew so I was running dry until I could find an auto parts store to put more fluid in. It appears to be warped from running dry.

Why do you need a new shaft?

I forgot to mention earlier that you’ll need to remove the pump housing to press the pulley back on. You’ll crush the can if you try to press it back on.

If this is a federal pump, it does have a threaded hole in the shaft for removing and reinstalling pulley. Pretty easy rebuild with kits available at Rock auto and other venues. Getting parts like a shaft are different issues and you would be better off sending out or getting rebuilt pump if that is the case.

Auto Transport Service
Back