• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fender Alignment

kp72

Local time
1:41 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good article on aligning b-body panels? My front, drivers side fender is way out of whack.

trial and error for me and painters tape on edges keeps down the risk of chipping

trial and error for me and painters tape on edges keeps down the risk of chipping

lots of Trial and Error for me too, I used the tape on the edges as well, but I have some small soft rubber wedges I use to keep them from bumping and help hold the gaps to the desired space.

Last edited:
I could offer advice out the ying yang here, but at the end of the day you need a highly skilled, very patient bodyman to assist you...we can be plied with alcohol and steaks...its been known to happen.

The starting point for your B Body is always the front upper door edge and cowl panel. Set height and gap there first using shims and plastic fiber sticks (4mm) as your spacing guide. work down the fender edge towards the bottom aligning the bottom of the fender to the rocker panel, shim if necessary to obtain flush. From there work to align the fender top edge to the hood, ensuring the hood to cowl gap is correct. The principle is to align movable panels to fixed structure, ie: cowl, rocker, 1/4 panel etc. It is the foundation from which all panel alignment stems...All my words cannot replace the hand skills and finesse that a bodyman can offer you. Body spoons and tape are a huge asset as well as knowing when and where to pry! Good luck, if I was closer I'd stop by.
-J

I could offer advice out the ying yang here, but at the end of the day you need a highly skilled, very patient bodyman to assist you...we can be plied with alcohol and steaks...its been known to happen.

The starting point for your B Body is always the front upper door edge and cowl panel. Set height and gap there first using shims and plastic fiber sticks (4mm) as your spacing guide. work down the fender edge towards the bottom aligning the bottom of the fender to the rocker panel, shim if necessary to obtain flush. From there work to align the fender top edge to the hood, ensuring the hood to cowl gap is correct. The principle is to align movable panels to fixed structure, ie: cowl, rocker, 1/4 panel etc. It is the foundation from which all panel alignment stems...All my words cannot replace the hand skills and finesse that a bodyman can offer you. Body spoons and tape are a huge asset as well as knowing when and where to pry! Good luck, if I was closer I'd stop by.
-J

Makes sense,......O.K.......... Now what address do we send the alcohol and steaks to.:grin:

i use the soft plastic commode shims. forgot about that part

i use the soft plastic commode shims. forgot about that part

Aaaah..the plastic commode shim trick...excellent! lol. The fibresticks I am refering to are used by glass technicians when working with roped in glass. Cheap and great alignment tools.

I'll have to look into the commode shims...And I am due for a trip to a warmer climate...whats the temp there?
-J

Thanks for the advice. The most of the gaps look fairly close except the alignment of the fender to the hood. The front of the fender needs to move out. I guess I'll crawl under there and start unbolting stuff until it moves...

Temperature has been cool the past couple days, high of about 63*F. :tongueflap:

T-shirt weather...wow...it's -10C (14 F) here! I'm hooking up the dogs to the sleigh as we speak with a bag full of commode shims and fibre sticks! get the steaks on the grill and chill the beer...

Open the hood and loosen the horizontal bolt under the hood height adjusting flange. If you can get your gap with that, just shim it and tighten the bolt.

Auto Transport Service
Back