• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fender tags: What codes did they list, which ones were left off?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:26 AM
Reaction score
1 fender tag.JPG

On 1970 and later fender tags that I have seen, it looks like they always list the engine, trans and the VIN on the bottom line.
The next line up seems to be exterior color, seats, interior color, build date and a 6 digit number that I suspect is the VON (Vehicle Order Number) ?
The next lines are where I get confused. Looking at build sheets, I see that not all the options that a car has appears on the fender tag. The example above is from a 1970 Charger. It is a base XH model that looked to be very basic.
My red car has no fender tag but I am having one made by a guy that makes 3D printed versions. His have a deliberately different appearance to avoid the impression of fraud. I want to have one made to reflect the equipment that my car has, many of the codes are made up to suit my needs....E95 to denote the 495 engine, D25 for the 5 speed manual, etc.
I'm trying to determine which option codes are expected to be on the tag and which ones they didn't list.
This car is clearly not a clone, a tribute or any recreation of a factory package. This fender tag idea is just for my own fun.

FT 3D.jpg

Next Gen Designs

I have a few of the Galen Govier white books and even in them, he states that not all equipment is listed, even on high optioned cars. He didn't elaborate on what was expected to be there and what was not aside from the bottom 3 lines.

From what I understand, the “body tag” as it should be referred to as, will list options that need an alteration to the body, such as a radio. A radio needs an antenna, the antenna needs a hole in the fender, it’s on the body tag. Same with paint, it doesn’t need a hole, but it needs to be on the tag because it’s an option that alters the body. Console?? Needs brackets. Light package? Needs holes all over the place. That’s the way I understand it.

That is an interesting point.

I have all the codes ready to go, real ones and fictional.

Line 1:
*E 95 = 495 4 barrel.
*D 25 = 5 speed manual
XP29G0G******
After that, here are the other codes. The * asterisk denotes a non factory code.

A 01 = Light group
A 36 = Performance axle with 3.55 gears
*B 55 = Power 4 wheel disc brakes
*C 14 = Front shoulder belts
*C 17 = Console with black accents
D 91 = Sure Grip
F 15 = 65 amp alternator
G 12 = Tinted glass
G 36 = Racing mirrors
*G 43 = Auto dim Rear view mirror with compass and temp
*H 52 = A/C
J 25 = 3 speed wipers
J 31 = Dual horns
J 78 = Front spoiler
L 31 = Hood mount turn signals
N 23 = Electronic ignition
N 41 = Dual exhaust
N 51 = Max engine cooling
*N 88 = Performance gauges
P 45 = Power trunk release
*R 38 = Am Fm CD MP3 player with 4 speakers
*S 18 = HD perf suspension
S 62 = Tilt steering
*S 75 = 14 to 1 Fast Ratio steering
*U 86 = 18" wheel package
*** I don't know the code for a black vinyl bumblebee stripe....

Any reason for the codes or just random?

Those codes I listed above are what I actually have in this car.

Right, but I mean the ones with the asterisk that are non factory

Those reflect the non original equipment that I have added.
There was no E95 engine code. I chose it to reflect the non stock 495 cubic inch engine.
There was no B55 brake code because there were no 4 wheel disc brakes available but this car has them now.
I'm not expecting anyone to think that these are original codes. These are just a novelty for me. They are variations of original codes though.

Unfortunately my car didn’t have its tag, which is bummer, because I think it has s6n interior, which according to Mark Worman is rare

I want to make one like this for my car. Or one that says “nosey bastard”

C301D175-4714-4E9B-94F5-B3B20F88DDCE.jpeg

2BB093F2-2CCB-4106-9D8E-14410DC3BA52.jpeg

D350259A-D591-45D5-BB8D-0585E202BBAA.jpeg

I appreciate the off topic commentary, I really do.
Could the answer to the original question be as simple as Cosgig stated in post # 3 ?

I believe power steering was not stamped on fender tags even though there is a code for it. I could be wrong but my 69 has PS and looks to be original and it ain’t on the tag.

I appreciate the off topic commentary, I really do.
Could the answer to the original question be as simple as Cosgig stated in post # 3 ?
That's what I understood, too. Of course, it also depends on what plant built the car. Lynch road is notoriously cheap with options info, but has drivetrain info that doesn't appear on LA or St Louis tags.
You're printing the tag for fun. Put whatever you want on it!

IIRC H52 is a real code for a D body that has rear AC.

I solved my missing tag issue with a "Special Order" tag, and that's all I'm putting there.

That is an interesting point.

I have all the codes ready to go, real ones and fictional.

Line 1:
*E 95 = 495 4 barrel.
*D 25 = 5 speed manual
XP29G0G******
After that, here are the other codes. The * asterisk denotes a non factory code.

A 01 = Light group
A 36 = Performance axle with 3.55 gears
*B 55 = Power 4 wheel disc brakes
*C 14 = Front shoulder belts
*C 17 = Console with black accents
D 91 = Sure Grip
F 15 = 65 amp alternator
G 12 = Tinted glass
G 36 = Racing mirrors
*G 43 = Auto dim Rear view mirror with compass and temp
*H 52 = A/C
J 25 = 3 speed wipers
J 31 = Dual horns
J 78 = Front spoiler
L 31 = Hood mount turn signals
N 23 = Electronic ignition
N 41 = Dual exhaust
N 51 = Max engine cooling
*N 88 = Performance gauges
P 45 = Power trunk release
*R 38 = Am Fm CD MP3 player with 4 speakers
*S 18 = HD perf suspension
S 62 = Tilt steering
*S 75 = 14 to 1 Fast Ratio steering
*U 86 = 18" wheel package
*** I don't know the code for a black vinyl bumblebee stripe....
V8X = Black Bumblebee Tape

1970 Dodge Charger Registry

You could add A38 for police car package. You have beefier suspension pieces and extra coolers?

Thank you.
The White book wasn’t clear on that.

Police package Charger.

I like it.

My GTX has tinted glass throughout, but it’s not on the fender tag. I don’t believe it was ever changed, I have owned it since 1982.

...tinted glass throughout...
Presuming you have A/C then? I believe tinted would be the default with A/C. What year ('69 by your avatar?) and assembly plant? (they're not consistent throughout)

Those reflect the non original equipment that I have added.
There was no E95 engine code. I chose it to reflect the non stock 495 cubic inch engine.
There was no B55 brake code because there were no 4 wheel disc brakes available but this car has them now.
I'm not expecting anyone to think that these are original codes. These are just a novelty for me. They are variations of original codes though.
Use LS6 instead of E95 and then see who has a meltdown when they read your tag.
:lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back