• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fenderwell headers

flatheadgary

Local time
6:19 AM
Reaction score
i have a '63 plymouth belvedere with a 440 engine. i want to go fenderwell headers. where can i get a set reasonably priced.
thank you

No place I know of.
Supposedly Hooker and Hedman still make em, but they are generic (cut away pieces of car, till they fit), and they run from $800-1000, uncoated.
You might find a used set, but I wouldn't bet on it.

hedman 75320 r partial fenderwell available still thru summit...i bought the coated units, fit great.

Don’t know what brand these were on my 62, but looked like it would take a lot of fabrication to get even a partial exhaust on the car.
This was a straight up race car.

0C301987-FB6A-4D26-BF93-2F2EC70BE05A.jpeg

Don’t know what brand these were on my 62, but looked like it would take a lot of fabrication to get even a partial exhaust on the car.
This was a straight up race car.

View attachment 1433980
I have seen nice exhausts on fenderwell header cars, where the pipe is bent underthe front subframe so the mufflers can be in under the car. That enables a h-pipe or x-pipe to be used. Lots of work to do it right.
My fenderwell car just has a long thin straight thru magnaflow running along the rocker panel, and dumping to the side in front of the rear tire. No way to get an h-pipe on it. It's quiet but I don't care for the tone much.

Max has fenderwells, we don't know whose. Every so often I think about putting the factory manifolds and pipes on but the fenderwells just look so cool!

MAX 2022-1.JPG

i know most mopar people think these cars are the holy grail. they are not. i build what i want the way i want. if the matching number bs is for resale that's fine. i am 74 and will have this car until i die. so i don't care about resale. i have already had it for 33 years. also, i like to be able to work on them and i hate chassis headers for that reason. i like the way fenderwell headers look too. look at pics of the '60's that have headers and just about none of them have chassis headers. thanks for the replies though.

I don't think anybody is trying (at least, not very hard) to talk you out of the fenderwells. Fenderwell headers are making a comeback, as a fashion statement.
But you asked for reasonably priced fenderwells. That doesn't exist anymore. A few years ago, somebody (I don't remember who) was running a closeout of fenderwells, for about a third of list price..... but they were gone, in weeks.
So...... full boat price, plus coating if you want, or find a used set. Good luck.

I don't think anybody is trying (at least, not very hard) to talk you out of the fenderwells. Fenderwell headers are making a comeback, as a fashion statement.
But you asked for reasonably priced fenderwells. That doesn't exist anymore. A few years ago, somebody (I don't remember who) was running a closeout of fenderwells, for about a third of list price..... but they were gone, in weeks.
So...... full boat price, plus coating if you want, or find a used set. Good luck.
I agree. The gasser wars are in full swing again. The only reason I went with the shortys is because I plan on doing a lot of driving and also towing a small trailer. I wanted the drivability is all.

Fenderwell headers aren't for everyone but I love how easy it is to work on. These are Doug's, they are almost 20 years old and I had the ceramic re-coated. Moser bought up the remaining stock when Doug's discontinued them and I think he wanted ~$2500 a set.

Chuck (snook)

DSC_8893.jpg

DSC_8894.jpg

DSC_8895.jpg

DSC_8896.jpg

DSC_8897.jpg

When I bought my Doug's D452's 12 years ago the fenderwells were still available and I thought about for week until I decided to go underchassis.
Now with the car on the street I made the right decision.
Gus

When I bought my Doug's D452's 12 years ago the fenderwells were still available and I thought about for week until I decided to go underchassis.
Now with the car on the street I made the right decision.
Gus
That's pretty much why I bought the shorty headers. If I'm going to drive it a lot and tow a trailer then it would probably be better than the fenderwells. If it was going to be an occasional driver then I would have gone the other way.

Auto Transport Service
Back