• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally Bought My Dream Car. 1969 Roadrunner Project

Stevo427

Local time
1:47 PM
Reaction score
Hey all was reading through some threads on this website and loved it. So decided to join and post my project. I just bought myself a 1969 Roadrunner.I'm 20 years old and love old cars(I own a 68.5 swb c10) I've wanted a runner since elementary school when my dad would tell me all the story's of him tearing up the streets in his. He always told me it was the king of the streets back in his street racing days(Guess he also raced it on the track). Well I've dreamed of owning one for as long as I can remember and I finnaly was able to buy myself a project (I like building my own stuff).
I'll start you off with a picture of my dads runner from back in the 70's.

rezimned.jpg
It was his first car in high school and he owned it up until the late 70's when he sold it. That same week the guy who had bought it wrapped it around a telephone pole. Said he couldn't handle the car I guess :laughing1:.
So on to mine. I just bought this girl about two weeks ago. Apparently she was saved from the crusher and/or turning into a parts car two or more times before I scooped her up and saved her. Originally a 383/4 Speed car. I plan on going with the same color as my dads (Sunfire Yellow) Because I have dreamed of having his car forever(Minus the post.. I like the Hardtop with the roll down windows) I dig the old school look so I'm going for keeping the car mostly original looking other then having some decent audio, disc brakes, and some other small stuff. So I will most likely go with rally wheels, redline tires, and some caps. Young guys like me who like the old stuff are a dying breed. Guess that's what happens when you grow up around cars/motorcycles. Gives you a bigger appreciation for the good stuff.
60227945375756799916390.jpg
photo876.jpg
photo7td.jpg
photo11zd.jpg
photo4qy.jpg
photo3pqv.jpg
photo8ft.jpg
photo14jt.jpg
The car has a 3.91 8 3/4 with the sure grip Unit. I was told that the car is believed to be an A31 Option car but cant verify that due to the lack of a fender tag or a build sheet(Which I looked all over for)
downloadpb.jpg
photo17z.jpg
I stripped the car of it's interior and begun cleaning and finding spots I have to patch (Which I'm glad to say the floor pans need no replacing other then 1 or 2 puncture holes from god knows what)
photo19b.jpg
photo32h.jpg
photo24nt.jpg
photo40l.jpg
photo30u.jpg

photo29jf.jpg
photo8hgfll.jpg
photo46q.jpg
Cleaned up the Dash and bought this cluster for $30. Tempd it up for a picture and back in the box it goes.
dashj.jpg
Dropped the gas Tank. Its going to get scrapped
tankwt.jpg
The trunk floor will need to be replaced. But the underside of it looks nice at-least :hello2: Doesn't matter though since its getting a full trunk floor replacement
photo44y.jpg
Cleaned up the dash decal
photo35a.jpg
The whole underside of the car is covered in what I believe is a factory undercoating. Everywhere I peel the undercoating off it is nice shiny black
photo15fv.jpg

Oh and bonus picture of my c10 that I've been working on for around 2 years
photo5vj.jpg
Will be the main hauler for parts for the runner
also extra info the guy I bought it from gave me the info of the guy he got it from . Got some information. Car hasn't been on the road since 1983 due to a front end crash(explains the sattelite hood/fenders). It had resided in Torrance CA most of its life (My birth town ). Also where my dad lived and owned his roadrunner. My dads was sold in the late 70's and after it was sold got wrapped around a telephone pole.. Some weird connections going on here. We where meant to be <3 also a member on 69roadrunner.net had owned the car for a short period of time before selling it to the guy I bought it from.

rezimned.jpg 60227945375756799916390.jpg photo7td.jpg photo11zd.jpg photo4qy.jpg photo3pqv.jpg photo876.jpg photo8ft.jpg photo14jt.jpg downloadpb.jpg photo17z.jpg photo19b.jpg photo24nt.jpg photo30u.jpg photo29jf.jpg photo8hgfll.jpg photo46q.jpg dashj.jpg tankwt.jpg photo44y.jpg photo40l.jpg photo35a.jpg photo32h.jpg photo5vj.jpg photo15fv.jpg

I sure do wish you good luck with your car, looks pretty decent and solid! You'll find a lot of good guys here for any questions and help you may need, You'll have a great ride when you finish it and hope you'll keep us updated! And Welcome aboard the site!

Good luck on the restoration. There are some great people on this site with alot of knowledge who will help out along the way. Your car looks extremely solid - I wish my current project was as nice. Glad to see a 20 year old interested in these cars - I would say a rare breed instead of a dying one.

Well right freakin on man! another 69 saved awesome! Can't wait to see the final product, and it has the 4 speed hump already in. Give us the fender tag info and we can decode it and tell you every option the car came with originally.

That should keep you busy for a while. Looks like a good project.

Looks like an awesome project young man. Welcome to the site . It's great to have some younger people interested in this hobby.

nice find, welcome steve, The very best of luck to you!
..just don't put a 350 crate in there...
that Road Runner is awesome!

Sonny Black.

Great to see a youngun who is into old cars instead of fart can imports. Looks like you're workin your *** off too.

nice find, welcome steve, The very best of luck to you!
..just don't put a 350 crate in there...
that Road Runner is awesome!

Sonny Black.
Haha no way. My dad has a 383 from his roadrunner with 5 hours on it from the factory. Although it has a pinhole in the block th leaks coolant. I'll patch that up then run the 383 until I can build a nice 440 or 426

Welcome to the site Stevo. I'm at the tail end of a '69 RR resurrection as well. Pretty cool to see another guy building another '69 with the same inspiration, our dads and their roadrunners. Looks like you have a nice solid body on the bird to start with and have been pegging away already. Like mentioned by the other cats, lotta folks here with a lotta experience into bringing these cars back. Need help, just ask...that's what we're all here for. Got a name in mind for the car?

Best of luck with your build. Looking forward to following along as you go. Keep at it and before too long you'll have that tire frying king of the road car, just like your old man did back in the day. BTW....Snazy looking C10. See ya around.

Welcome to the site Stevo. I'm at the tail end of a '69 RR resurrection as well. Pretty cool to see another guy building another '69 with the same inspiration, our dads and their roadrunners. Looks like you have a nice solid body on the bird to start with and have been pegging away already. Like mentioned by the other cats, lotta folks here with a lotta experience into bringing these cars back. Need help, just ask...that's what we're all here for. Got a name in mind for the car?

Best of luck with your build. Looking forward to following along as you go. Keep at it and before too long you'll have that tire frying king of the road car, just like your old man did back in the day. BTW....Snazy looking C10. See ya around.
Thanks. It was actually your thread that made me join here. Such beautiful work in that detailed thread. It definitely gave me some information to help me get finished with this car in the future

:icon_thumright: Thanks man....Appreciate it. That's what it's all about, car guys motivating and helping other car guys out. That's what makes this site and our hobby so great. I don't know how much time you've had to check out all the other great threads as well, but there are some truly inspirational builds going on. Top notch stuff.

The body is pretty solid. The roof is in great condition and I have already got it nice and shiny. Ordered some rust bullet for the floors and roof and will start that when it gets here. Due to living close to the beach Im going to do the rust bullet before I begin to patch the two little holes in the floor for peace of mind. The quarters although look solid do have a fair share of bondo and some rust in the common areas. So I plan on doing full quarter replacements.. I'd do a skin but not having to weld as much with the full quarter is appealing to me. Dutchman panel is a goner and will also need replacing. trunk is pretty nice but has a nice dent on the rear body line and someone added a wing or something to it in its past so it has 4 holes in the top and dents around them. I'm going to try and save the trunk lid by working some magic on it. Going to have to cut the bracing out of it to get access to the dent in the back of it. Overall the car had what I wanted. A super solid frame, underside of the car is super nice ,roof , interior metal is all perfect other then the trunk floor. And a nice rearend setup with the gearing I wanted. . The cowl needs replacing. It got ruined in the accident and someone did some shotty work on it. I'm a little of a perfectionist sometimes so I want it all done the right way. As for the name. I liked Charlotte the roadrunner. so that name has stuck.

Awesome, love 69 roadrunners. I, like you just joined and finally bought my dream car only it took me a little longer "I'm 36" it's a 69 charger (restomod charger thread). I have all of my metal work done and thought I'd share a little advice, after a disapointing front inner fender and dutchmen panel I finally found AMD "they're sheatmetal is really nice". This is my first full restoration and had never even installed a quarter until now, They fit great, have a good quality E-coating and best of all require almost no body work (there were two small high spots right behind the doors on the top that's it). I used they're dutchmen panel, full quaters and tailight panel all of which fit with little work. Hope this helps and congrates on your find.

Awesome, love 69 roadrunners. I, like you just joined and finally bought my dream car only it took me a little longer "I'm 36" it's a 69 charger (restomod charger thread). I have all of my metal work done and thought I'd share a little advice, after a disapointing front inner fender and dutchmen panel I finally found AMD "they're sheatmetal is really nice". This is my first full restoration and had never even installed a quarter until now, They fit great, have a good quality E-coating and best of all require almost no body work (there were two small high spots right behind the doors on the top that's it). I used they're dutchmen panel, full quaters and tailight panel all of which fit with little work. Hope this helps and congrates on your find.
Congrats on getting your dream car also. AMD has been my choice since I decided to change panels. I hear a lot of good things about them. I heard about the issue with the high spot on the qp and if I heard correctly you can buy there doors and they line up. Since both my doors are pretty beat up. I'll probably go that route. The passenger door is pretty boogered from the crash. And the driver door has a nice little sideswipe action going on.

Auto Transport Service
Back