• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally brought my convertible home

Prorac1

Local time
11:50 AM
Reaction score
The field that the barn was located in finally dried out enough So we decided to go in on a rescue mission. Lol.

42A69492-F460-408C-BFB6-2C3BAD9BAA3D.jpeg

Aired up a couple tires, replaced a couple others and the car almost jumped onto my trailer. Lol. Easiest load up ever.

6AAA24A9-7E09-4649-A050-9BA551B8FD12.jpeg

4B103797-14D6-42C0-833A-9BA1EB46EF50.jpeg

93635BEA-13C7-4580-B319-4EB4995A01F0.jpeg

B766B510-E1EA-45CC-A819-186946D38A54.jpeg

D9A9338F-47DB-47C2-9805-65F2615B5B3E.jpeg

8B98DF1D-8751-42E0-9D35-928C6E82340F.jpeg

44861A5F-78BC-4DC8-A1CC-BF15F1EBD58D.jpeg

4C39EB24-6813-4B0E-8395-ED85969AD26A.jpeg

200BD8CE-03CF-4C12-A50B-A20385BD99DA.jpeg

The floors are more patched up than I remembered, and it needs a full floor pan.

And the front of the rear frame rail also needs to be replaced also.

That took the wind out of my sails a bit. But nothing we can’t tackle.

Now to look for hard to find parts. Lol.

Thanks. Eric L

Eric, does not look bad at all. My 69 vert looked more complete but the body was way worse. Do you have the bumpers and trim parts. Is the interior complete, engine ? Congrats on rescuing that car and best of luck.

Eric, does not look bad at all. My 69 vert looked more complete but the body was way worse. Do you have the bumpers and trim parts. Is the interior complete, engine ? Congrats on rescuing that car and best of luck.

Thanks Steve.

I have the bumpers, but they are pretty rough. Same goes for the trim parts.

The interior has no back seat and the back seat side panels are broken and cracked. Those are both going to be hard items to find.

The dash is there but rough and missing a lot of trim pieces.

And it came with a 1967 383 that was all original. When we tore it down it was in beautiful shape. Just a hone, rings and bearings and it should be good to go.

No transmission though. But 727s are all over.

Thanks again. Eric

It already had new quarters, outer wheel houses, and rust free front sub frame from the torsion bars forward installed.

They also installed new trunk pans and drivers side partial rear frame rail.

But unfortunately the front of the rear rails are junk so we’re putting new full rear rails and interior floor in it.

FDD8EBBA-B78B-44E2-B7FD-9F4E7A914FD9.jpeg
9C2E9D5F-51A2-4BB2-9929-73C19944B2D7.jpeg
E9BBCC89-C6F0-4A62-9D5A-2964F7553E66.jpeg
E76FCDC3-D647-4A8D-9C47-740064FE88D4.jpeg
43C197F7-6969-44DA-84DE-46EACC3D4FBE.jpeg
AFB0A72D-AEBD-4FD5-AC83-D047E7320DE9.jpeg
FC2D7269-EC97-4762-97B0-445C69FED65E.jpeg
6A34BB78-E6A9-4EED-87D9-A1FE82730683.jpeg
E4BC3BA9-2C05-4779-96ED-B70EA02C1A3A.jpeg
67E998FA-0C82-4A02-9CE0-4084B3A681BE.jpeg

Thats a cool looking project. Hope everything falls into place for you in the restoration.

Thanks Steve.

I have the bumpers, but they are pretty rough. Same goes for the trim parts.

The interior has no back seat and the back seat side panels are broken and cracked. Those are both going to be hard items to find.

The dash is there but rough and missing a lot of trim pieces.

And it came with a 1967 383 that was all original. When we tore it down it was in beautiful shape. Just a hone, rings and bearings and it should be good to go.

No transmission though. But 727s are all over.

Thanks again. Eric[/QUOTE
I understand the back seats frames are expensive but the interior rear plastic panels are hard to get.
Now there was a member here who was reproducing them. You could try and find him, I dont know if he is still doing it.
However there was a Niagara Falls NY who had a set for a 67. I think they fit and they were reasonably priced but the catch was he would not ship.
Last I read they were not sold.
Or you could contact Tony D parts in De. He has a set and wants close to a grand plus shipping im sure but dont quote me.
There not cheap and good luck to you.

BTW even if you find a set with speaker holes, if they are decent id advise jumping on them. The outside stainless trim around the windshield. If your missing that a member here may still have a set for sale

I have all the stainless trim around the windshield. Thank god. Lol.

Worse case scenario I can always plastic weld and fiberglass mine back together. Lol

BTW even if you find a set with speaker holes, if they are decent id advise jumping on them. The outside stainless trim around the windshield. If your missing that a member here may still have a set for sale

The mistake I made when doing the metal work on my car was not looking at the metal were those long screws hold the convertible top material in the trunk well. Some were stripped and the guy doing the top had to rig up other screws. Make sure you pay attention to that area as well as the gutter edge that drains into the quarter panel. We blocked those dams off at the ends and put drains into the wheel wells.
Im sorry if you know this all, just trying to help. One more thing when taking off the convertible top frame, you may find shims or washers behind the top frame. Those washers were to shim the top over one way or another.....Take note of how they were placed, pictures or write notes. My top would not line up right and I remembered there we're washers used as shims. We shimed the top and the rear windows met up perfect with top.....

The mistake I made when doing the metal work on my car was not looking at the metal were those long screws hold the convertible top material in the trunk well. Some were stripped and the guy doing the top had to rig up other screws. Make sure you pay attention to that area as well as the gutter edge that drains into the quarter panel. We blocked those dams off at the ends and put drains into the wheel wells.
Im sorry if you know this all, just trying to help. One more thing when taking off the convertible top frame, you may find shims or washers behind the top frame. Those washers were to shim the top over one way or another.....Take note of how they were placed, pictures or write notes. My top would not line up right and I remembered there we're washers used as shims. We shimed the top and the rear windows met up perfect with top.....

Thank you. I’ve never heard of those before.

My car has no top material on it.

Where is that piece that the top screws to?

And I don’t quite understand what you mean about the drains?

Could you please explain.

I have relatives that live on Long Island. Levittown. We are planing on going out there for Christmas.

Thank you again for all the information. This is only my second convertible.

Thanks. Eric

If you have rear panels even thought they are cracked & broken they can probably be fixed, they are fiberglass & repairs are easy....Lots of info on You Tube, Corvette guys, boat guys... Lots of guys with fiberglass skills... My panels were broken, unless you look at the back side you absolutely can not tell & the back side isn't obvious either....

If you have rear panels even thought they are cracked & broken they can probably be fixed, they are fiberglass & repairs are easy....Lots of info on You Tube, Corvette guys, boat guys... Lots of guys with fiberglass skills... My panels were broken, unless you look at the back side you absolutely can not tell & the back side isn't obvious either....

Oh good deal. My father is pretty good with fiberglass repairs. Thank you so much. I couldn’t tell if they were plastic or fiberglass

There are "retaining braces" that the top material staples too... center/left/right. These retaining braces bolt into the body & sometimes those threads in the body can strip out. Some of the holes you can put a longer bolt in & a nut in back. Other holes must be welded & re-tapped. I have a "few" extra '68 convertible pieces like the top of the passenger quarter panels, some of those "drain troughs" and trim along the top of the body where it meets the top if you want to pm me. Those "drain troughs" run all along the body where the top meets it. They collect the water that leaks past the top & dump it near the rear wheel wells & it drains out through holes at the bottom of the quarters.

There are "retaining braces" that the top material staples too... center/left/right. These retaining braces bolt into the body & sometimes those threads in the body can strip out. Some of the holes you can put a longer bolt in & a nut in back. Other holes must be welded & re-tapped. I have a "few" extra '68 convertible pieces like the top of the passenger quarter panels, some of those "drain troughs" and trim along the top of the body where it meets the top if you want to pm me. Those "drain troughs" run all along the body where the top meets it. They collect the water that leaks past the top & dump it near the rear wheel wells & it drains out through holes at the bottom of the quarters.

Thank you very much for the information. I’m going to have to take a closer look at the car with this new knowledge.

Thank you again. To everyone.

I’m an a body guy. I’m doing a lot of learning. Lol

Thanks. Eric

Well, this is actually convertible knowledge... A body, B body, C body & E body all are similar in how this stuff works, drains, tack strips, bows, & I agree the drains are a problem that should be addressed...

There's plenty of us who've been there & we're all happy to help so you don't have to do it the hard way...

BTW Cool Project!!

good luck with the 68 GTX Convertible barn find project

Well, this is actually convertible knowledge... A body, B body, C body & E body all are similar in how this stuff works, drains, tack strips, bows, & I agree the drains are a problem that should be addressed...

There's plenty of us who've been there & we're all happy to help so you don't have to do it the hard way...

BTW Cool Project!!

We went over and cleaned out the interior today.

The floors are a patchwork quilt. Lol. But we were already planing on doing a full floor pan.

D2BA6C8A-6141-4465-AB15-42A79DDD3849.jpeg

And the torsion bar cross member is toast, so we added that to the shopping list.

Classic to current sells a nice looking one that’s priced pretty well.

AD890954-8760-4648-A0CD-D2A4A49DD2A7.jpeg

Good news. The drain troughs are in excellent shape.

1B4EB78F-AE18-40F4-85B2-5BD084834C54.jpeg

94452AF8-D8C6-4643-B412-5717664065B2.jpeg

7C3CBC05-D4B7-4504-93F1-9135EB1FA733.jpeg

B5C99731-6DA0-4E21-9D4A-D55C83BFE9AF.jpeg

Bad news. The plastic side panels are broken beyond repair. They are missing the entire piece that wraps around the back where it meets up with the steel back panel.

8DB9A750-0FD3-4BE0-A111-B2F616F52637.jpeg

So we’re still evaluating. But currently considering a way to mount and brace the car on a rotisserie and do the frame and floor work on that.

Thanks for reading. And thank you so much for the information. It is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Eric

I think it will buff right out.....we could be crusing this weekend:thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back