• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

finally getting around to my 68rr after 10 yrs of hibernation!

Matts68bird

Local time
9:38 AM
Reaction score
After 10yrs of hibernation, The 68 is going under the knife!

​So I've had my car for 10 yrs now.... and is also the first car I've ever owned. I can say that it has been the ball and chain that I've carried around with me... but hope to finally get around to changing that. Now after years of putting it off due to life getting in the way I have finally jumped in (head first)... might need some help from you guys on this one. Here is some pics of whats been going on!

Matt
1968 roadrunner
383 w/ torqueflight

IMG_5690.JPG IMG_5792.jpg IMG_5789.jpg

Last edited:
Had my 66 Belvedere for over 25 years and tore it down for a complete rebuild with potent V8......15 years ago! At least I drove the snot out of the /6 for 10 years before doing that.....

Cranky:
Yeah i know I'm not the only one..lol but I'm glad i waited this long. i learned a lot along the way so i feel more confident with what I'm doin now. would of wasted a lot of time and money redoing it all.
Matt

- - - Updated - - -

I got around to takin the dash out as well. firewall has an incident somewhere along the line. don't know if it was a blowup bell housing, or a hammer job to clear the headers... and ideas????

both quarters had to go as well... hillbilly replacement job on the drivers side that didn't match up at all.

Matt

Attachments

• IMG_5859.jpg
    IMG_5859.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_5854.jpg
    IMG_5854.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_5840.jpg
    IMG_5840.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_5815.jpg
    IMG_5815.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_5810.jpg
    IMG_5810.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_6020.jpg
    IMG_6020.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_6051.jpg
    IMG_6051.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Firewall Help!!!! Need to know what route to take with this one. looks like someone took a hammer to it maybe for header clearance?!?! and then booger weld on top of it to fill the hole....If I'm taking the car down as far as i have, i rather just tackle this too.

I see there are replacement complete walls, but feel that is a little too much to take out the whole wall for just needing to replace the tunnel. I have most of the car apart now and don't know how far i can go before i have to start worrying about the car twisting.... located in the western suburbs of Chicago. Is there anyone out there with a doner car i can buy a section of the firewall? really feel its a waste to spent the five hundred bucks and use a 1/8" of the sheetmetal... also open to ideas. this is my first rodeo with all of this.

I also got around to doing the rest of the quarters last night. pulling your shirt over your nose is an osha approved respiratory filter right?!?! leadwork yum.... i cut right below the lip so ill still have to drill out the spot welds and take out the inner piece.

I found my original color. looks like it might of been the Ember Gold poly. Anyone out the have a picture of the color on a car? I personally like a little darker gold but just wondering what the Ember Gold looked like.

Thanks!
matt

Attachments

• IMG_5881.jpg
    IMG_5881.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_6101.jpg
    IMG_6101.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_6102.jpg
    IMG_6102.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_6052.jpg
    IMG_6052.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 271
wow, you really tore into that car. take a breather and enjoy the holidays.:Santa3:

Very cool watching these big projects come together! Good luck and remember to have fun!

wow, you really tore into that car. take a breather and enjoy the holidays.:Santa3:

Thanks happy holidays to you too! had all my shopping has been done and took a week off. IL weather has been great here 40-60 so the unheated garage has not been too bad to work in. gotta take advantage of it while i can!

- - - Updated - - -

Very cool watching these big projects come together! Good luck and remember to have fun!

thank! all you guys on here are the reason this project if finally happening. ill try to keep this build updated the best i can.

Clean slate. Time to start adding that new sheetmetal. :)

Were you able to dolly out that firewall transmission hump?

I will be cutting it out. luckily, I ended up getting a donor pc off a member here months ago. I will be putting it in soon. Im just trying to get all the panels blasted and sealed before the weather gets too bad here.

Good progress. My barn is unheated and uninsulated. My winter progress is not comfortable either. It will be a great car.

more blast and sealer. They are overall pretty clean but there will need some patchwork on the door corners.

IMG_0045.JPG IMG_0047.JPG IMG_0055.JPG

Lookin good. Door corners are pretty easy to repair, did them on my 69. Better than dropping a ton of money on new ones. I unfolded the crimped edge and replaced the inside first and used that as a template to form the outside patch...
20160813_161615.jpg
20160813_191430.jpg
20160814_132422.jpg

20160814_133629.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back