• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally got one

That's a steal!! I see them going for 2300-2500 in that similar condition.
Are you aware of using too high of a grain 30-06 ammo?

Dear CMP Family,

The CMP advises to not use .30/06 ammunition in M1 Garands, 1903s, and 1903A3s that is loaded beyond 50,000 CUP and has a bullet weight more than 172-174gr. These rifles are at least 70 years old and were not designed for max loads and super heavy bullets. Always wear hearing and eye protection when firing an M1 Garand, 1903 and/or 1903A3 rifle.
I thought it was a good buy, as well. Like I said, I always wanted one.
I’d have preferred a WW2 era one, but I wasn’t ready to pony up 3500 for a nice example.

thanks for the heads up on the ammo.
Yes, I am familiar with the idiosyncrasies of the .30-06 Garand loads. I just recently researched this this. My buddy who located it for me has some surplus M2ball ammo (I believe that’s what they call the correct loads) that he will sell for a buck a round.

I thought it was a good buy, as well. Like I said, I always wanted one.
I’d have preferred a WW2 era one, but I wasn’t ready to pony up 3500 for a nice example.

thanks for the heads up on the ammo.
Yes, I am familiar with the idiosyncrasies of the .30-06 Garand loads. I just recently researched this this. My buddy who located it for me has some surplus M2ball ammo (I believe that’s what they call the correct loads) that he will sell for a buck a round.
Best of luck with the new Garand. Please post an update after you acquire the rifle and get a chance to shoot it.

I have no Garands, I’ve shot one of my son’s . I like them but went thru boot camp with an M-14.(my true love) Never found the money to buy one though. Here’s a pic of a young woman at Camp Perry this summer. Some of you guys might recognize the belt she has on!!!

2F78B7B2-6C01-4229-94C7-AA0783AB4D03.jpeg

Vintage, if you go on CMP.org forums you might know “McCoy” that lives close to Dayton. He researchs USMC paperwork in Washington D.C. a lot concerning firearms. My oldest is still single, so I don’t want to say how many Garands he has!!! Took one of his yrs ago to a high-power clinic put on by an NRA instructor from Cincinnati yrs ago. Lotsa fun.

Last edited:
Nice iconic rifle at a great price congrats

Thought I might get one when a nephew decided to sell the one that his dad 'gave' him but no....he sold it to a stranger instead. Another one of the family on my X's side. Oh well.

So, the Garand is kick ***.
I’ve only cycled 16 rounds thorough it, but it works well.

Now, I’m completely addicted and powerless as far as these old firearms go.

My next quest is a nice M1 Carbine to go with the Garand. :thumbsup:

So, the Garand is kick ***.
I’ve only cycled 16 rounds thorough it, but it works well.

Now, I’m completely addicted and powerless as far as these old firearms go.

My next quest is a nice M1 Carbine to go with the Garand. :thumbsup:
You forgot a 1911A1!!!!

Nice score, and good tip on the ammo. I had dad's old 1951 Colt .38 revolver at the range last weekend for some fun, and I will NEVER run anything +P through that. I look for the lowest loads I can reasonably get for plinking with it, and it sits in the safe loaded with Critical Duty non-+P.

0117211814b~2.jpg

And 18 rounds at 7 yards:

IMG_27122021_170118_(700_x_1000_pixel).jpg

I ordered a Gerand through the CMP about 3 years ago and ended up getting an excellent condition Harrington and Richardson.
I work for Navistar maker of International trucks, so was interested in getting a IHC Gerand if I ever had a chance. A year or so after I got my Gerand, CMP announced they had some IHCs so I ordered one. The one I got isn’t as nice as my H&R.
I’d like to have a WW2 vet so if I ever have a chance to get a Winchester or Springfield I’ll jump on it.
Funny how things multiply, collecting is a disease for sure!
I have accumulated 3 M1 carbines also, the first being a Winchester my dad helped me get when I was 13.

I’ve wanted an M1 Garand for a long time now. I’m not a gun collector, but I appreciate a nice gun. I’ve got a 1911 and a .22 pistol.

my Grandfather was a WW2 vet and had a Springfield Armory M1 Garand.

a friend of mine is a military rifle collector. I put him on the lookout for a decent quality Garand. (These things aren’t 500 bucks anymore)

Today, he was set up at a local gun show, and he found me a nice example.

It’s a Harrington & Richardson from the Korean was era. I’m told it has all H&R parts and it looks like it’s in nice shape.

I’m picking it up later. I hope I got a good one. :elmer:

here’s the pics he sent me:

View attachment 1180573 View attachment 1180574 View attachment 1180575
You will love it! I have a springfield armory, garand (NM grade) and I wouldn't sell it for anything. They have a little weight to them but it fits just right and man do they shoot straight. Congrats and enjoy!

Also, if you want to make your 1911 into a smooth shooter? Change out the recoil/slide spring, WWII models came with a 15lb spring which made for a for quick cycle time (great in combat). To smooth things out, up grade to an 18lb spring and you'll be amazed at the difference that 3lbs makes in the feel of the gun when you shoot. I bought mine from Wilson Combat and it came with a neoprene buffer pad (I'm sure there are many options avail) super easy to install if you're comfortable tearing down a 1911 for cleaning. Bottom line it helps you stay on target when your throwing 230g JHP rounds down range at a man sized target, food for thought :thumbsup:

I don’t know ‘Virg’, John Browning seemed to know what he was doing! 110yrs for the 1911 and getting close on the .50BMG( that the govt still uses).

I have shot a lot of M1 Garands, owned one but traded it off for car parts (partial trade on a 66 426 Hemi). I've thought about getting another and despite what some thing you can still find them for sub $1000 if you look hard enough. The problem is that I don't really like it all them much, I much prefer the M1A (have 2) and/or the 1903A3 (have a 1903A4). I have well over 100 guns currently and in fact am taking delivery of a L39 Enfield next week I imported from the UK.

All this said, the Garand is an awesome rifle to be sure and it certainly is battle tested and withstood the test of time. My focus in long guns is predominately sniper weapons systems and in that regard I have never really liked the M1D or C due to the offset optic.

1911's are great and everyone should own one (I have like 7 or something) but I would not ever carry one daily, there are so many better modern options these days.

Nice! My Dad was 4th division Marines. He and his boys took Iwo Jima. That was the weapon they carried. I heard a story that they would toss an empty mag, and the enemy’s would come out thinking they were reloading. Dad’s gone now, made it til 2006. But his ‘68 Satellite is why I drive one now.

Think about using adjustable gas plug to be able to use modern ammo.

Reloading is the only way to go, as ammo made for Garand pressures was hard to find before the latest panic.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/...t-wants-adjustable-gas-plug-install-and-test/
The rifle, commonly known today as the M1 Garand, was designed to function with the M2, which means that modern commercial 30-06 ammunition often produces higher-than-safe pressures. These higher pressures can bend the rifle’s operating rod, destroying its functionality and seriously decreasing its value.

Now, let me be clear: the safest way to avoid a bent op rod is to use either the diminishing supply of military surplus M2 ball or one of the commercial loads specifically designed for the M1 Garand. But if you’re looking to use a heavier bullet or hotter load for hunting or competition, that’s not going to work. You need a way to decrease pressures, and that’s where an adjustable gas plug comes in.

Nice! My Dad was 4th division Marines. He and his boys took Iwo Jima. That was the weapon they carried. I heard a story that they would toss an empty mag, and the enemy’s would come out thinking they were reloading. Dad’s gone now, made it til 2006. But his ‘68 Satellite is why I drive one now.
Your Father and those like him are considered "Giants" by the guys I hung out with and consider my brothers, during my time on active duty. What they did was ... well you can choose any descriptive word but it will still fall short of what they did. All I can say is GOD bless them, and Thank you.

Auto Transport Service
Back