• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally got the 340 6-BBL on the dyno.

IQ52

Local time
6:42 PM
Reaction score
Owner commissions a rebuild on a 340 that vibrated itself to death, and then the owner dies before it's finished.

.030" overbore, stock 3.31 stroke for 344.5 ci. Custom solid flat tappet, 9.3:1 compression, mildly ported factory iron 'O' heads. 402 lb-ft @ 4,500 rpm & 411 HP @ 5,800 rpm.

Getty's TA 061.jpg

are those lambda sensors on the exhaust ? and nice motor indeed , i bet it cost a pretty penny
what was approx the $$ if i might ask

Ok guys, knock it off. I have a lot of respect for IQ and don't want to mess up his thread.

Besides, RC isn't interested in a small block. :lol:

Great numbers!
What do you think the power loss would be with a fuel pump, water pump and fan, power steering pump and alternator? I recall seeing a Mopar Muscle article years ago that tested the parasitic drag of those components but I don't recall the numbers.
Would a 25 HP loss be a fair guess?

Nice job, thats a great little engine.

But you killed the guy...
You may be right. The man was pretty ill when he commissioned the engine and very excited about driving the car when it was done. He would tell those who visited him, "Boy, I sure hope Jim calls today. I sure hope Jim calls."

Death by unfulfilled expectation?
are those lambda sensors on the exhaust ? and nice motor indeed , i bet it cost a pretty penny
what was approx the $$ if i might ask
Those are thermo-couples to measure exhaust gas temperatures.

It has some pretty cool hard parts inside. Custom solid flat tappet, EDM lifters, Harland Sharp rockers, rocker arm relocation kit that took me four days to make, H-beam rods, zero decked, Ross forged pistons, main studs and align boring, Milodon oil pickup, Cloyes expensive timing chain and chain tensioner, the ported heads with stainless 11/32 X 2.02/1.60 valves and bronze guides, heads milled and chambers balanced, ARP bolts for the custom rocker stands and new ARP 12pt lock nuts for the rocker arm adjusters to replace the old large hex type, SFI damper. A lot of crap like that. The damper and flywheel/clutch assembly has been balanced with the engine. The intake was milled to fit.
The six-pack carburetor base plates were warped from being bolted down too tight on thick gaskets and we had to mill them flat. When we first fired up you could hear whistling under the carburetors.

The owner provided the block, factory forged crank, induction system, beat up old "O" heads and rocker arms. It cost him $7,500 beyond that.
Ok guys, knock it off. I have a lot of respect for IQ and don't want to mess up his thread.

Besides, RC isn't interested in a small block. :lol:

A little humor in this thread won't hurt anything. Too bad it must be at your expense.

Great numbers!
What do you think the power loss would be with a fuel pump, water pump and fan, power steering pump and alternator? I recall seeing a Mopar Muscle article years ago that tested the parasitic drag of those components but I don't recall the numbers.

I've never tested it all. I think the water pump was costing me about 10 horsepower at 7,000 rpm on a 750 HP engine. I remember watching a guy running at 715-717 HP. When the water pump belt flew off on the dyno it jumped to 724 HP. But the rest of the stuff?......I don't know.

Here is the HP/TQ graph of the very first dyno pull on the 340. 2,500-5,000 rpm. The printer ran out of ink and I had to darken the lines by hand. We only did three pulls all together. After the third pull went 400/400, we said, "That is good enough!"
Getty's TA 062.jpg

Great numbers!

I remember that one! Who the heck did that write up. I thought it was a great thing to do. All total, running all of the stock equipment as needed for YOUR car really isn't a big thing. While it may add up to a lot of power lost, is it worth it to have all the nice goodies they surpply?

P/S, W/P, Alt. For that pumping stero? A/C?

I recall the alternator not costing much, something like 1.9 HP. The water pump and fan was the biggest draw. The P/S pump was about 8 HP. I don't think that they tested the draw of an A/C compressor.
It is a good topic though, since a comfortable street car will have many of if not all of these things.

Auto Transport Service
Back