• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally got the new engine in!

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:31 PM
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Well, we finally got the new engine in using the uni bar that I purchased, came from underneath. That was the easiest install of an engine I ever did doing it this way! The air cleaner is 13" and has a drop base and barely fits. I took some clay and put some in the middle of the air cleaner and the back. The center has a good 3/4 inch before hitting the hood but the back only has an 1/8 of an inch, is this enough room for the air cleaner and engine?

20210223_213629.jpg

20210220_104131.jpg

Hey Guys,

Well, we finally got the new engine in using the uni bar that I purchased, came from underneath. That was the easiest install of an engine I ever did doing it this way! The air cleaner is 13" and has a drop base and barely fits. I took some clay and put some in the middle of the air cleaner and the back. The center has a good 3/4 inch before hitting the hood but the back only has an 1/8 of an inch, is this enough room for the air cleaner and engine?

View attachment 1074099

View attachment 1074101

Just my opinion but 1/8 inch sounds way too close to the hood and unintended interference may result. Can you get a lower drop base on there or maybe a shorter height air filter??

Hey Guys,

View attachment 1074099

View attachment 1074101
That’s too close. I’d want a little more room than that.

What manifold is that ?

Hey Guys,

View attachment 1074099

View attachment 1074101
Thanks for the photo showing the lift. My rotisserie mounts the same way and I was thinking to basically do the same with what you've done. Did the ring help?
Got any pics with the car up?

I like using loosely crumpled aluminum foil balls to check clearances like that.

Thanks for the photo showing the lift. My rotisserie mounts the same way and I was thinking to basically do the same with what you've done. Did the ring help?
Got any pics with the car up?

Yes, but I didn't make it, I bought it. Worked great, well worth the money. Unfortunately I don't have pictures, got a little busy and forgot to take some.

Found an air filter where I can gain another 1/4 inch, that will make it 3/8 inch. Is that enough?

I would think so. Do you have a restraint system to prevent engine torque twist?
Mike

Yes, the original steel cable. I was going to get the torque bar but I have the QA1 tubular k-member
and it won't fit.

Even at 3/8", I would feel a whole lot better using solid motor mounts.

Yes, the original steel cable. I was going to get the torque bar but I have the QA1 tubular k-member
and it won't fit.

Just my opinion but as others have said chain her down and be very aware of that tight clearance when you jump on it.
Glad you got the potential issue resolved.
:thumbsup:

I had tight clearances before I changed hoods. I have a small turnbuckle as a tie down.

Hey Guys,

View attachment 1074099

View attachment 1074101
1/8 inch is way to close. If you drive the car like your grandmother you MAY be OK, If you get on it I think the torque roll will case the air cleaner to hit the hood. IMHO But it looks really good! I'm interested in the unibar, can you supply some more information, like where you bought it and price?

1/8 inch is way to close. If you drive the car like your grandmother you MAY be OK, If you get on it I think the torque roll will case the air cleaner to hit the hood. IMHO But it looks really good! I'm interested in the unibar, can you supply some more information, like where you bought it and price?

Thanks! I got the unibar on US Car tool web site for $194. They say they are out of stock but if you call them they will make it for you. They make everything on site and its powder coated.

Auto Transport Service
Back