• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally outta paint prison

68Moparmaniac

Local time
9:56 PM
Reaction score
240.jpg
241.jpg

58.jpg
77.jpg
208.jpg
209.jpg
210.jpg
211.jpg
219.jpg
222.jpg
234.jpg
235.jpg
Looks good. How long were you in for?
Thanks brother.
I pulled the trigger on the restoration in 2007. The shop I used was one of nightmares, long story short I just just said #uck it and painted it myself. I'm into the paint job less my hours for under 4 grand including 4 gallons of base and 4 gallons of clear and all the materials to fabricate the paint booth..... better than the 25,000.00 dollar quotes I was getting to do the job.

Last edited:
Beautiful - reminds me of the Sunfire yellow on my old Corvettte.

Looks good :thumbsup:

Also, I really like your paint booth construction. I'm going to copy it on my next job instead of stapling the sheeting right to the walls and rafters. Smart!

Same color as Eugene's Charger 500, the car Nick on Nick's Garage is restoring. :thumbsup:

Very nice work. As soon as I saw the color It reminded me of the 500 on Nick's. Ed beat me to it!

Are you doing an OEM resto or some mods?

I like the yellow, reminds me of my old buddies 69 beeper rag top.

Nice!! What's the name of the yellow? My first car and iirc was called sunfire....a 66 Belvedere with a black top.

4 gallons of each? What product did you use ?

Looks great BTW.

4 gallons of each? What product did you use ?

Looks great BTW.
Bought the paint from the Coating store in Mississippi. Painting inside and out used up a ton of paint
TheCoatingStore-Com(1).jpg

1414419932618-92770051.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job!

Can you post a link to your paint booth?

245.jpg 246.jpg 247.jpg 248.jpg
Basically the construction consists of 2 x 2 x 8 & 1 x 2's some deck screws and some angle brackets. I designed them to be 8 x 8 modular panels that are bolted together where you can make any size booth you want but be able to break it down and store them. The blower unit was constructed out of plywood and some 2 x 2's. The squirrel cage was salvaged from a scrap pile and rebuilt with bearings and such. The reason I built the blower with the motor outside the box was because I didn't want to spend the big bucks on an explosion proof motor. The motor I got from Harbor Freight ( 1 HP farm duty). Everything worked well, nothing blew up, I'm still vertical and my garage doesn't look like I painted anything let alone a 17 foot car. Paint came out great with minimal nibs so overall I'm happy with the way it turned out and I wasn't out 25-35 grand on a paint job...win win

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back