• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally Sorted Out the Power Steering Problem With My 70 RR

soundhd

Local time
12:41 AM
Reaction score
Was having a problem with my power steering in my 70 RR. Purchased he car last fall. Steering was really bad so replaced all power steering components, pump, steering box and hoses, had iit aligned and that corrected most of the problems except a new one started,it was a problem which was alot of the time when turning the wheel to the left when trying to park or pull out of a parking spot or just standing still the wheel would bind after about 1/8 of a turn. Was told if the steering box itself was bad it would happen all the time, left or right, moving or not so removed the valve body off the steering box, took it apart, cleaned it and when trying to put the piston back in it did not go in freely...(shop manual says it should slide in freely)...so replace the whole valve body assembly and that corrected the problem.

Good to hear,
i just replaced the pump and lines on my 67 Satty, its a PITA trying to route it safely,
there's no room on the drivers side lol,
ive got headers above/beside it, fan, pulleys, belts in front and battery beside it.
because of the headers,
I'm debating about adding a PS cooler to prolong the systems life...

Yeah, things can get pretty crowded quickly with headers......might consider a remote electric power steering pump........have seen alot of those being used lately........

Auto Transport Service
Back