• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finding the history on your vehicle, what did you do?

PlymCrazy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:19 AM
Reaction score
I bought my '69 RR a little over 2 years ago now. Vehicle came with minimal history. If I recall the story correctly, the guy I bought it from had a close friend restore it for him and by the end of the 5-year restoration their relationship had become very strained. He then put the car up for sale because every time he looked at the car it reminded him and his wife of all the grief they went through to get it restored. Wasn't a joyful experience it sounds. And what history I was given was generic at best. But I got it for a price I'd have been a fool to pass up. I reached back out to the former owner today to see if he is willing to share anything further. I'm not getting my hopes up....

If any of you have a car that came without much history, what are some of the ways you were able to successfully track some of it down?

Any and all ideas, thoughts or two cents are welcome...

- Nick

Yeah mine came with zero history as well, but I bought it over 49 years ago so I imagine its probably too late for me to figure out any of its history now. :(

I would rather not have people contact me about my old cars, so I give them all the same benefit. I will only use records that come with the car to research further. It's amazing what you can find via internet search, public records, and now social media.

Yeah mine came with zero history as well, but I bought it over 49 years ago so I imagine its probably too late for me to figure out any of its history now. :(
Seeing how I wasn’t even an itch in my daddy’s pants 49 years ago…LOL

Last edited:
I would rather not have people contact me about my old cars, so I give them all the same benefit…
I can appreciate that. I probably would feel the same way now that you mention it.

I have google searched the VIN with no luck. Social media? Well, this forum alone has been a step out of my comfort zone but I may tap someone’s shoulder whether it be friend or family to try that route.

I have been successful at finding some stuff on the inner webs about the couple other classics we own…

When i got the 71 Hemi GTX from the Air Force captain, B-52 navigator, i knew that he purchased that car in Missouri, where he was last stationed, at Whiteman Air Force Base.
I got it off the "Lemon Lot" as we called it, at Mather Air Force Base, Northern California. (Sacramento)
I got it back in 76, or 77 if i remember correctly.
So it wasn't that old of a used vehicle, when i got it.
One day i sat down, and wrote the Missouri department of motor vehicles, if they could look up owners of that vehicle.
Sent them the VIN number, and letters and numbers from the plates that were in the trunk.
Never expected to hear from that dmv.
Less than two weeks later, i get this big fat envelope in my mailbox, from the Missouri dmv.
Had every bit of information in it, from the time that it left the Chrysler manufacturing, assembly plant.
Never talked to the original owner of the car, but his son in law.
Things like this, i guess you could do back in the 70's dinosaur days, but in this modern day and age, you just can't do these things anymore, due to all sorts of privacy laws, and information laws.
Jim V.
hemi71x

Last edited:
My RR came out of TX so about a decade or so ago I decided to contact the TX DMV and request any info they had on the car. I found a vehicle history request form on their website, completed it, and submitted it. Several weeks later they sent me all of the info that they had, going back to 1976. The trail went cold at that point - but I was able to trace it back to a used car lot in Fort Worth which was far more info than I had previously. Unfortunately that car lot is long gone so I think that this is as far back as I will ever get with my car's history.

Things like this, i guess you could do back in the 70's dinosaur days, but in this modern day and age, you just can't do these things anymore, due to all sorts of privacy laws, and information laws
Yep, found this out recently trying to help a buddy track down a title the seller never gave him going on 6 months now. Friend in LE did get the info - BUT - he said if this somehow would get out, his search can be traced and he could get in hot water or worse.

I am in the cool position of having known the original owners of both of my Mopars. I worked at a truck dealership for a year or so in the early 1980s, and the original owner of my 67 R/T was a mechanic there. My next door neighbor at the old house I grew up in bought my 64 Fury brand new.

I feel fortunate to be good friends with the second owner of the Charger that bought it for his wife when it was 2 years old to haul the kids around. The first owner was and always will be a mystery.

If not for anything I’m getting some consolation from you guys as I face this point…that there is a HUGE chance here I may never get the full story, if anything at all. But heck, I’m gonna try everything I can (that’s legal anyway) LOL.

If not for anything I’m getting some consolation from you guys as I face this point…that there is a HUGE chance here I may never get the full story, if anything at all. But heck, I’m gonna try everything I can (that’s legal anyway) LOL.
I feel for all of you, I was lucky enough to be the original owner of my Bee.

I would be really interested of my Sport Satellite history in States. It is imported to Finland in 1998 from California. All I know is California license plate number which could have been original from 1968/9. I know my chances to find anything is preetty slim...

I have tracked lots of car histories here in Finland. Pretty much everyone who I have contacted, have been interested to tell history and liked that I asked. Have made new friends that way too!

My car came with no history either, I'm the 2nd owner! My Father knew and worked with the original owner; he would carpool to work in it most days. After his retirement, he and his wife would come every year for Thanksgiving with the car! I wish I had the service records, build sheet, etc.
Dusty in his younger days was a minor league catcher, never made it to the big leagues.

My car came with no history either, I'm the 2nd owner! My Father knew and worked with the original owner; he would carpool to work in it most days. After his retirement, he and his wife would come every year for Thanksgiving with the car! I wish I had the service records, build sheet, etc.
Dusty in his younger days was a minor league catcher, never made it to the big leagues.
Dusty? Former owner? That's pretty cool history if so....

Dusty? Former owner? That's pretty cool history if so....
Dusty was his nickname, the car's name is dusty and it fits because it constantly gets dusty sittin in the garage! Not former owner, the original owner, big difference!

I am fortunate to know the history of my Charger back to 1978. About 41 of those years I have owned it. Recently, a previous owner sent me the bill of sale from when he purchased it from a Chrysler dealership in 1978. interesting to see it was on a Chrysler dealership's lot then. I welcomed the piece of history. Kudos to D.M.

Hard to find any history on mine. Bought my ‘71 RR from an old guy who bought it in not-running condition out of state. He hauled it back here and parked it in his vast shop building where it sat for many years after his health deteriorated. I know it came from Texas and it wasn’t on the road long based on the 1977 inspection sticker on the windshield, but that’s about it.

Auto Transport Service
Back