• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finding vacuum advance car for Chrysler Electronic Distributor

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:24 PM
Reaction score
I have what I think is a Chrysler electronic distributor in my car that's wired up to an MSD unit. No Part no or tag on the distributor so I'm just guessing it's a Mopar Performance unit as it seems to match some photos of them on the internet.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/VwFLt1EkSBO9Q13uFE5Wvw.9O0EAp1qDkEAE6qBHiXhO3

It didn't have a vacuum advance can on it when I bought the car and I'm trying to add it back. I purchased this one from Summit Racing.

Summit Racing SUM-850427 Summit Racing® Vacuum Advance Canisters | Summit Racing

And although the can fits on the distributor and keys to the small roll pin locating dowel, it will in no way connect to the distributor advance plate. The arm has a dog-leg towards the center of the distributor that ends just barely off the distributor shaft. The hole for the advance arm to fit into is located out near the distributor housing - probably 3/4" away. I've never seen a distributor where the vacuum arm connected to the advance plate right next to the shaft - almost looks like the arm is assembled backwards in the unit.

Anyway, can someone give me a reference on where to get a proper advance can for a Mopar Electronic Distributor that works. I would like adjustable but if I have to I will rig up some sort of stop on a non-adjustable one.

I have an old aluminum housing single point distributor and out of curiosity I went and got the vacuum can from it and held up to the electronic distributor and it looks like it would hook right up to the points plate. You can see how it compares with the one I got from Summit.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/4y6d8oY7So6dSiXSkX8csA.yoRiNLj-qcKvLao0j-faUw

So, I may just need a plain old vacuum can for a points distributor.

Some of those factory aluminum distributor are lousy in the kits. Forgot how to spot them.

It's a 66 Hemi - obviously not stock distributor.

@HALIFAXHOPS may be able to help. Do you have a tag on it with a number? You might be sunk if you don't.

No tag, no part no, unless it’s under the bottom plate - I haven’t pulled the shaft. But Halifaxhops is a good thought.

Thats a mopar distributor. No one makes a fully adjustabale vac advance just the ones you can adjust the rate of advance. NO ONE! Whipped this dog to many times. I am sure I have something that is right I need to know the total Vac advance needed to work. The straight arm ones are seriously hard to find now.

Adjustable Vacuum Advance | For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum

Last edited:
I don't get the problem. The Mopar Performance distributor like the one you got ( Mallory built ) use same vacuum pod and pickup coil than the stock ELECTRONIC IGNITION units, sure not the same than your old Hemi 66 distributor which was points. I have that same distributor and if needing the vacuum pod just will run to any parts shop and get it. For example:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...0890,ignition,distributor+vacuum+advance,7232

Sure will be hard to get the exact same specs one stamped on arm from the one it came with it if you have it, but they are out there. On half of the price than Mancini racing selling same pieces!

The only difference between that distributor and the stock electronic one is the shaft made to the adjustable mech advance system. Otherwise is exactly the same stock piece on everything. Including bushings, collar retainer, reluctor, rotor, cap. Housing itself. You can fit the Mallory shaft into the factory housing, is exactly the same!

I have replaced my MP ( Mallory ) dist pick up coil and vacuum pod with stock parts out of the shop close to home.

Last edited:
Those in the Rockauto ad you embedded are the same as the one I got from Summit and don’t fit. The arm curves in towards the dist shaft. I need one that curves out to connect with a connection point on the outer edge of the points plate. But since from your post on my other thread, this appears to be essentially a Mallory distributor I should be able to track something down that fits.

thanks

Last edited:
Thats a mopar distributor. No one makes a fully adjustabale vac advance just the ones you can adjust the rate of advance. NO ONE! Whipped this dog to many times. I am sure I have something that is right I need to know the total Vac advance needed to work. The straight arm ones are seriously hard to find now.

Adjustable Vacuum Advance | For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum

Appreciate that clarification - I did misunderstand what they meant by adjustable. I like to set my distributors (I have Chevy BB, Ford FE and the couple RB Mopars) with limited centrifugal advance so I can run around 14 - 16 deg initial timing. That usually means either fabricating some sort of limiter on the vacuum arm or finding a vacuum can with limited vacuum advance of around 8 to 12 deg depending on the engine. Sounds like I just need to find a vac can theat fits and build some sort of stop for it - possibly a piece of sheet metal that fits under the step on the arm that hits the can when the arm is pulled in.

Still surprised at the total lack of any identifying marks on this distributor.

Let me see what I have in stock. Might be used gooed, nos, nors or rebuilt the prices are all over the place. The tag was probably removed.

well... I still don't get why doesn't fit... unless sellers got them incorrectly set for the application, but I can assure you stock replacements and Mallory are the same physically.

Two different arms on the big blocks. One goes strighter which you need and one is dog legged toward the shaft. I will get some pics of the difference.

Rebuilt/refinished unit for BB on ebay

s-l1600.jpg

And I'm pretty sure is the same I have which it looks the same than the one you got. Sorry, I can be wrong? but long time without see my car and pieces

Last edited:
Mallory BB distributor... if you pay attention to the detail the vacuum arm goes inwards and you can see the pivot end of the vacuum arm down the reluctor, just right in front of pickup coil

Distributor-MP1R.JPG

same than the stock one

there is no way you need a diff vacuum with the pick up advance plate provision toward to the shaft. Vacuum pod arm goes inward

vacuum pickup.jpg

Unless I rotate the advance plate 180 deg I don't think I can utilize that hole. Here is the hole that seems to be in range of the vacuum advance arm. I marked everything with a sharpie upon disassembly to keep everything straight since it was an unfamiliar distributor to me. The wires and grommet won't reach if I move everything 180 deg but I'll study it some more. An older vacuum advance unit I have from an aluminum points distributor seems to line up with the hole perfectly - it has an arm that kicks out instead of in. It's a pretty old unit though and I would like to have a better replacement.

upload_2021-2-1_9-32-21.png

Maybe the points plate was mis-indexed by the prior owner who assembled this mess - I'll see if the grommet can be slipped and the wires adjusted.

Auto Transport Service
Back