• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finishing Lower Control Arms

JR_Charger

Local time
6:25 AM
Reaction score
I've got mine soaking in vinegar and will have braces welded on when the rust is off of them. They could set around for a few days before the guy gets too them, which means they'll rust again if I send them as bare metal. I was thinking of spraying them with weld through primer, but I wonder if that will get into all the nooks and crannies well enough. Are there any other options?

Not sure about other options, but... what does the vinegar do??

Takes the rust off. I've used it on small parts and it works surprisingly well.

Put them back in vinegar after the welding is done?
They aren't going to rust away in a week or two.

Once out of the vinegar you will will want to neutralize any remaining vinegar with a solution of baking soda and water. Then thoroughly dry them and use compressed air in the hard to reach places. This will stop the flash rusting. If you are not painting them immediately spray them down with wd40. When it comes time to paint spray them down with lacquer thinner or prepsol as that will remove the wd40 in preparation of paint.

James From
PST

I would just rinse all the vinegar off with hot soapy water and dry them off quickly with a heat gun or something similar so they don't flash rust. Then just coat them with primer. The welder can grind away the primer when he's ready to weld them. Shouldn't take but an extra few minutes with a grinder and he's gonna grind down to good clean metal before he welds anways.

I've been using baking soda and water to neutralize vinegar but I'm wondering if I've left the parts in long enough. At first I left them in for a day or more, but it looked like they were rusting in the water so I reduced it down to an hour. After I'd done that a few times, I began to think that what I was taking for rust was spots of the original finish that hadn't worn off.

The paint on primer sounds like a good idea. I'm a little worried about getting into every crevice on this part, but there are a few contact surfaces that are going to get worn down to bare metal anyway.

Looks like the Rust_Oleum paint on has been discontinued - Link

I’m getting ready to add a coat to door mechanisms and additional coat to k member

292FA510-8915-4268-9E1D-36A834229118.jpeg

Get the one for rusty metal and before you coat take a propane tourch and run over bare metal to burn off any left over oils embedded in the metal then wash after with acetone then coat of course beware of fire hazard

Auto Transport Service
Back