• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fire extinguisher- what does your car have?

Moms68

Local time
8:10 PM
Reaction score
I used to use Halon extinguishers because they don’t use powder or foam, which causes a huge mess. They even made a garage ceiling mounted one that would automatically discharged. Since those are no longer available what are carrying in your street car?

I used to use Halon extinguishers because they don’t use powder or foam, which causes a huge mess. They even made a garage ceiling mounted one that would automatically discharged. Since those are no longer available what are carrying in your street car?
Worked at a fire prevention company for 13 years. Ansul Cleanguard is available in 2-1/2 lb and 5 lb size. If you use a dry chemical make sure it is BC rated not ABC. ABC powder is extremely corrosive. BC powder is like baking soda. Cleanguard is the best bet if you go with a hand held extinguisher. Expensive but worth it.

I've got one of these in every car, small and inexpensive.
FE.jpg

Worked at a fire prevention company for 13 years. Ansul Cleanguard is available in 2-1/2 lb and 5 lb size. If you use a dry chemical make sure it is BC rated not ABC. ABC powder is extremely corrosive. BC powder is like baking soda. Cleanguard is the best bet if you go with a hand held extinguisher. Expensive but worth it.
Is Halotron the same as Cleanguard?

We have the elements in the house and garage. Thankfully, have not used. Cars will get them too.

I have a store bought extinguisher in most my vehicles. I even have a onboard fire suppression system in my Challenger street car. It has three nozzles that spray toward my inside the passenger compartment and 3 nozzles that point towards the engine in case of a fire. If you look real close you can just see the hex of the top of the nozzles next to my overflow catch can.

IMG_8666.jpg

Right before I got my car done, I was at my stereo store I have frequented for years... There was a Black 67 chevelle there that had maybe 50 miles on a resto.. It was show quality... Owner got in the car, started it, and black smoke started to flow out of the engine compartment.. It was an electrical fire... fortunately he was where there were lots of tools readily available so the hood went up and the negative cable came off..... Really stuck with me how fast somebodies decades old project can go up in smoke....
I spent big bucks on all new wiring harnesses in my car, I always leave the neg cable " loose", and I carry a fire extinguisher after watching that event...

I run Cold Fire foam. 3 nozzles, 2 engine compartment, 1 under the dash. From experience it cleans up very easy. Also available in hand held units.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back