• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fire in Paradise, CA

Most destructive one in the states history, 25 deaths & not projected to be contained for 19 days...
Wind blowing hard in hills where I am.
Terrible, terrible!

I am thousand of miles away and following the tragedy closely (best friend lives in Chico). But here at home this morning it was cloudy, cool, windless, and I felt about 2 or 3 drops of rain. Ran over to the empty lot 3 blocks away and thought it would be a good (safe) time to burn the large pile of brush I had collected over the summer.

Pour a little gasoline on the edge, lit it with a match, and then managed it with a pitch fork (with a garden hose nearby). It took about an hour an a half for it to burn all the way down to nothing. I kept approaching it from time to time with the pitch fork to throw back on the fire the limbs/leaves that were outside the fire circle. I am always surprised how intense the heat is even from a "small' controlled brush fire in my own back yard. Not much smoke because the stuff was really dry.

Now the point of the story is this: I came back home, prepared some oatmeal, and then turned on the TV to watch the Saints vs Bengals NFL game. I wanted to get up and prepare the dogs for a bath today, but it felt like my body weighed two tons. So here I am "stuck' sitting in a plastic beach chair in front of the boob tube and I don't have the energy to even stand up. Now I wonder if it was just the heat from the fire this morning that burned me out (pun?). It was not that physically demanding just tossing back leaves and branches with the pitch fork. I should not be tired at all, it's not even noon yet.

If the heat does wear one out so fast, I can only imagine what it's like for those poor firefighters. The foto below is not an actual foto from this morning, but that is about what it looked like:

trimmings.jpg

Look's like PG&E was "allegedly" responsible for the Camp fire
power outage about the same time it started,
"alleged" downed line or transformer explosion, started it

reports are 25 dead, last I heard
100 or more missing
truly sad, total destruction/devastation

RIP
my deepest condolences, my heart goes out to all,
the victims & families

I hope the firemen & all the support stay as safe as possible
while doing their dangerous work
truly, many brave men & women

My neighbor across the street Tom is there right now
works for CalFire

Yep heard that too pge reported an issue with a line just before it started. Likely an arching line sent sparks flying or a large bird hit a line and went down on fire we may never know but at least they reported it an are not trying to hide it like the last fire.

I heard a comment yesterday while standing in line at the bakery...." God is sick to death of the crazy assed Californians and is burning the place to the ground so he can start over." The bakery owner told the lady to "Get her crazy *** the hell out of her store, and don't come back." I just shook my head. People are nuts.

I couldnt and wouldnt comment on how or why.

Hope everyone is as safe as they can be .And condolances to the families of there love ones lost.

I was CRUSHED to see a pic in the Sac Bee yesterday of student Anthropology "kids" sifting through ashes of a mobile home looking for human remains. There are no words to describe the utter hopeless feeling all of this creates in me.There is such an unbelievable outpouring of offers to help, collections of goods, caravans to transport goods, offers of refuge for not only people but animals. Where is all of the divisiveness here??? This kind of reaction is the kind of news I would like to see more of along with the "tragedy" the news wants to push. Based on what I am seeing and reading, one would be better to donate to the Salvation Army as they will be on scene and know what to purchase for those in need.

Holy cow guys, that's horrible to hear/see so much destruction! I don't know what to say other than stay safe.

Auto Transport Service
Back