• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Firewall backing plate behind power brake booster - where to get it?

68 Sport Satellite

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:08 AM
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where to get the firewall reinforcement power brake backing plate that goes between the firewall and the booster? I'm looking for a stock one that looks like this and numerous calls so far haven't found it. By the way, I borrowed this photo from another FBBO thread...View attachment 101648

Can anyone tell me where to get the firewall reinforcement power brake backing plate that goes between the firewall and the booster? I'm looking for a stock one that looks like this and numerous calls so far haven't found it. By the way, I borrowed this photo from another FBBO thread...View attachment 101648

one of those does not look like the other one. It may help if you tell which one you need. one on the right or the left?

Have you tried Stephens Performance or Tonys Parts?

I haven't tried Stephen's Performance or Tony's Parts, so I'll call them tomorrow, thanks.

I have power brakes. I'm not sure what the correct plate looks like, only that I don't have one now. Thanks to lewtot184 for letting us know the plate shown on the left is for manual brakes, which is NOT the one I need.

i don't think it would be a big deal to modify a manual brake plate to fit the booster. just an idea.

That's right, piratejack is reproducing the plates and boosters for power and manual brakes...good call Propwash!!!

I'm converting my 67 from power to manual brakes. I'll sell you the PB backing plate . PM me if you are interested.

Just ordered it. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Do any of you think that my brake pedal feel and braking power will improve once I've got that plate installed? I've always felt that something didn't quite feel right since I had a shop remove the original 11" single diaphragm booster and install the aftermarket 8" dual diaphragm booster and I noticed that this plate was missing...
Did some of the '68/'69 B-bodies come WITHOUT the firewall reinforcement plate and work just fine??

Just ordered it. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Do any of you think that my brake pedal feel and braking power will improve once I've got that plate installed? I've always felt that something didn't quite feel right since I had a shop remove the original 11" single diaphragm booster and install the aftermarket 8" dual diaphragm booster and I noticed that this plate was missing...
Did some of the '68/'69 B-bodies come WITHOUT the firewall reinforcement plate and work just fine??

The plate is a firewall reinforcement ,nothing to do with brakes.

I imagine there maybe, just maybe a bit of difference.....Purpose of that thing is obviously to keep the thin firewall metal from flexing when break pressure is applied. Distribution of force. My main guess would be that either the booster isn't up to the task, low vacuum or a small bore size on the master comparative to the aftermarket booster. Could be they didn't set the pregap right on the plunger to piston interface from the booster to the master. Obviously some time would be needed to walk through those items to level down the problem.

Just ordered it. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

It sure sounds like you have the same booster set up as i am trying to install, going to watch this to see how it works out.

Going on vacation next week and I get things one slowly so there may not be an update for weeks or months. I will let you know how it turns out.

Auto Transport Service
Back