• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Firing order

steve from staten island

Local time
11:34 PM
Reaction score
The firing order on my 383. Were is #1? In relation to the "notch" were the cap fits into the dist,colckwise or counter clockwise were would #1 be---------thanks

jturcotte_119.gif

As Kiwi says, the dist doesn't have a specific spot for no.1, it's the physical position of wires in relation to your engine so all the wires reach the plugs that counts. The pic shows what you need. Big block distributor turns anti-clockwise.

jturcotte_119.gif

If you are still running a factor intake firing order and distributor rotation is shown on the #7 intake runner. 62 Dart why the small block drawing?

Bump the motor around until your harmonic balancer is on 0 degrees and pull the # 1 plug out and check to see if the piston is at the top(top dead center)if not bump it around again and it should be on top,then pull your distributor cap off and see where your rotor button is at ,that is where you will start the firing order at 18436572 and go counter clockwise on the dist cap and you're done. If you pull the cap off and number one is on the wrong side you're a 180 out and you'll have to do it again. Hope this helps.

The piston is always in the same position when on 0 you need it on compression stroke not exhaust stroke

In reference to drawing in #3 guess they do not know the distributor sets to the front of engine. To the last post the rotor pointing 180° off would not necessarily be a correct assumption as it all depends upon the distributor drive installation. Also the crank turns 2 revolutions to 1 cam. Just because the crankshaft is indexed to 0 it could be on eather the intake or exhaust stroke. The crankshaft slot needs to be to point where ever initial timing needs to be on the compression stroke. If the engine was running before and the distributor undisturbed the rotor will point to number 1 terminal at the cap regardless.

If both valves are closed the piston is at the top of its stroke and the notch on the balancer lines up with TDC or 0 on the timing tag that would be compression stroke TDC ?? Now when i install the dist i have the vacum advance facing the drivers side fender,i line up the drive with the slot in the oil drive shaft and were ever the rotor lines up would be #1? Then i install the plug wires in the correct firing order starting from #1....... Is this correct?

Steve...just to confuse the deal. Otherwise, you'll be asking again.

Yeah, pretty much as you asked on your last post...except...

You don't want the motor firing off at '0' TDC. 10 degrees before TDC probably closer.

On TDC compression stroke, yeah, both valves will be closed. That's just a general deal, tossing in what cam, the shape of valve train, blah, blah.

Once you find #1 TDC compression stroke...then back the motor reverse rotation by hand, going past 10 degrees BTDC. That takes out any slack in the timing chain. Then, in the correct rotation, bring the timing mark up to 10 degrees BTDC, or where ever you want the initial timing set. (Damn, takes longer to type this, than doing it!)

Once that is set, check your distributor stuff. Pull the cap, and look at which plug wire the rotor is pointing. Doesn't matter if you have a point-type, or electronic, but look at point where the dist. cam fires to #1 plug. If point-type, it's the instant the cam (breaks) open the points.
Simply rotate the dist housing, until the dist. cam is 'making the spark'. That sets your initial timing, fairly close to the correct timing. Then, looking at the rotor, and it's rotation, it should just be coming to the #1 plug wire.
As you say, your vacuum advance, in a position where nothing is in the way, for any adjustment.

Whole lot easier, than all the noise! Have fun!!

How I've always done it..............

Balancer TDC mark lined with zero reference on compression stroke.

Intermediate shaft (oil pump/distributor drive) slot should line up straight forward and back.

Stock distributor #1 tower clockwise from cap clip. 62dart's picture is valid. The two black areas around the cap portray cap hold down clips.

Dist. Vac. advance pointing forward of #1 cylinder (kindasorta).

Aftermarket distributors may not be indexed the same as stock.

Auto Transport Service
Back