• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

first bracket race with the roadrunner

68 HEMI GTS

Local time
11:50 AM
Reaction score
took the roadrunner out last Sunday for the last bracket race at the local track for the year (first time racing with the roadrunner). kind of nice to just go out and get in the car and drive out without even thinking about a trailer. even hit the McD's drive through on the way to the track. Put the car in sportman. the two time trial passes i cut good lights. .015 & .020. car wasn't hooking at all so i dialed soft. first round i nailed the tree with a .000 second round i backed off a touch and pulled a .025 started thinking this is gonna be easy, had the fastest car in sportsman and was feeling pretty good about just plowing through the field. went up for third round and had a total brain fart, i knew i was red before i even seen it.. oh well, i did run it out the back door. probably the last nice day of the year in michigan so hanging with my dad and doing a little racing seemed like a good way to spend it.

first round
roadrunnertime1_zpsf104452e.jpg

third round, new best
roadrunnertime2_zpsf7e2806b.jpg

i say she's got some ET left once i get it to hook. probably do some suspension work this winter. any way im pretty happy, just a pump gas motor with exhaust and one of those six packs that everyone says don't work driving too and from the track. even had the heat on, was a little cool out in the morning..

Nice work Hemi! I plan on my first drag race this spring, and hope I can do as well as you did. I have a 68 GTX with 440 6 barrel, 4 speed, and 3.54 rear, no drag radials. How is your car set up?

Barry
68 GTX
87 Buick GN

Nice congrats on getting her to the track, yet another fast car

big red eye sucks, but sounds like fun

could you refresh my memory about the car & combo, or a link to it maybe, if you've already posted it...
I seem to recollect/remember the car/owner has a couple fast ones, but not the details... sorry

maybe a couple photos of the RR we do love our RR's here

Nice !!! 2- 28/9.50-15's in the trunk next time no tellin' what might happen

She is running good and I agree you can get better times when you get the 60 down some. With my old 440 I ran a best of 11.49 @ 116 with a 1.59 best 60. And that was on just SS springs like I still run. Very nice lites you cut ! Ron

Nice congrats on getting her to the track, yet another fast car

big red eye sucks, but sounds like fun

could you refresh my memory about the car & combo, or a link to it maybe, if you've already posted it...
I seem to recollect/remember the car/owner has a couple fast ones, but not the details... sorry

maybe a couple photos of the RR we do love our RR's here

its a run of the mill short block with a good set of heads. 0.040 over 440, KB flat tops (0.020 in the hole, not how i would like them), ly rods, steel crank. MP.557 cam with 1.6 rockers. indy SR heads ported by MCH, "big standard" port window. alum six pack with 500cfm center carb. hemi torque flight with MVB & 10"TCI convertor. dana60 4.10 gear. GTX bias springs. 325-60-15 drag radials. not sure the weight, i know its heavy. still has all the factory undercoating on it with zero weight reduction anywhere.

7c65560d-a443-41b6-b711-a00d0a2caaf1_zps0f407815.jpg

roadrunner1_zps5b4306cc.jpg

photo3_zps415cb7ee.jpg

july2013078_zps712ccc3a.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Nice !!! 2- 28/9.50-15's in the trunk next time no tellin' what might happen

i agree, i use to run a big heavy *** solid bar in the trunk of my Belvedere we called the milan bar (milan dragway). might have to bring that out of retirement for the roadrunner. lol

I ran the MP .557 cam in my old 440 also. Nice cam as I liked it and I used 906 heads I had ported. Very nice Roadrunner ! Ron

How is your engine set up? Auto or 4 speed? rear end ratio? Your times are about where I hope mine will be ............................MO

great day at the track Hemi way to go nice looking road runner also

How is your engine set up? Auto or 4 speed? rear end ratio? Your times are about where I hope mine will be ............................MO

stick car but currently has a TF with a 10"TCI that has a 9" stator i had built for my dart 10 years ago. never worked real well in there, i picked up 3 tenths when i went to a 9"J. i was just figuring out the convertor slippage this morning and its not real good, around 11.5% going through the traps. 4.10 gear 28" tire. guess im not real surprised, this thing seemed a little loose for what i need.

Nice job on the tree! Car looks like its running good.

Auto Transport Service
Back