• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First generation charger tire size

Davefinan

Local time
7:55 AM
Reaction score
I’m about to order wheels and tires from summit. For fronts I’m going with wheel vintique magnum 500 15x7 and radial t/a p225/70-15. for the rear I would like to go with the magnum 500 15x8 4 1/2 inch back space with radial t/a 275/60-15. Have any of the first generation charger owners on here used this wheel/ tire size on the rear?
my car is completely stock , I just think the rear looks much better with that wheel well filled in a little more. Thanks.

Yes those will work, the the tight area will be the front lip of the rear wheel well.
I have 235 70 on the front of mine.

I went 18x8 rear with 275/40/18

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks. What are you running on the rear? I don’t want to do any cutting or rolling of the lip.
I have 295 50 15s which are way too short but that's all they had back then for fatties.
@440 4 speed has 275 60s that fit very nice.
Have to remember old cars are not perfectly built out of a billet block of steel. Measurements of the car are the only way to know what fits on " that" car, besides trial and error.

Good advice on the measuring. I did do that ( both sides) with the wheels off and the axle jacked up To the full Weight of the car. By my calculations I should have enough clearance. It’s always good to get the advice or opinions of folks out there that are actually using this size. Experience counts a lot to me. Thanks
I have 295 50 15s which are way too short but that's all they had back then for fatties.
@440 4 speed has 275 60s that fit very nice.
Have to remember old cars are not perfectly built out of a billet block of steel. Measurements of the car are the only way to know what fits on " that" car, besides trial and error.

Good advice on the measuring. I did do that ( both sides) with the wheels off and the axle jacked up To the full Weight of the car. By my calculations I should have enough clearance. It’s always good to get the advice or opinions of folks out there that are actually using this size. Experience counts a lot to me. Thanks
You bet. And with these cars if you find it's a hair too close on the front lip, you can add a bit of shim to the front hanger

Seeing as how expensive wheels & tires are these days; you could get a very close measurement using a fitment tool. I bought a Percy's Wheel Rite, which cost about $60 depending on where you buy it. We have several vehicles between me & my son and because we like the fenderwells filled, it came in handy. Good Luck. I had a 66 Charger way back in the day and ran L-60's on the rear on an 8 1/2" rim.

Seeing as how expensive wheels & tires are these days; you could get a very close measurement using a fitment tool. I bought a Percy's Wheel Rite, which cost about $60 depending on where you buy it. We have several vehicles between me & my son and because we like the fenderwells filled, it came in handy. Good Luck. I had a 66 Charger way back in the day and ran L-60's on the rear on an 8 1/2" rim.
It’s cool that you can enjoy the hobby with your son.
I have 3 daughters so no dice there. ….

Wish I could re-create the Dunlop GT Qualifiers I had on my 66 Charger. G60 on back with 8" Kmart chrome reverse wheels ($10 each) and G70's on the front. Fat tires and original hubcaps.

It’s cool that you can enjoy the hobby with your son.
I have 3 daughters so no dice there. ….
My daughter with a flanging tool, preparing to replace a rusted out panel on her truck. Girls like cars too :)

D100-3.jpg

I’m about to order wheels and tires from summit. For fronts I’m going with wheel vintique magnum 500 15x7 and radial t/a p225/70-15. for the rear I would like to go with the magnum 500 15x8 4 1/2 inch back space with radial t/a 275/60-15. Have any of the first generation charger owners on here used this wheel/ tire size on the rear?
my car is completely stock , I just think the rear looks much better with that wheel well filled in a little more. Thanks.
These Chargers have Large wheel Wells!

IMG_3065.png

I had 295/50 R15 on the back of mine prior to restoration. It will be using a different size wheel & tire setup this time around.

Rear Rim.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back