• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First hit of the year

68 HEMI GTS

Local time
11:12 AM
Reaction score
It left the house without a trailer... :(

IMG_0380.JPG

Took a buddy for a ride, pulled 2nd and it hit good then loud bang and the motor just free rev'd. No gears forward or reverse. Something in the trans broke. Lucky for me I was able to coast into another friends driveway. Only thing I'm pissed about is I just put the tail pipes on, tack welded them this morning so they would stay clocked good. Now I gotta take them damn things back off to pull the trans.

ruh ro she's on the trailer now
That sucks, hopefully something not all too expensive

{Imput shaft ?, planetary's ?}

what do suspect is the culprit ?

I can relate
I like the tail pipes, it help keeps sound out the rear while cruising
but can be a pain when tearing stuff down or working on stuff
always in the way

From the title I thought you moved to Oregon & "got a hit",lol. Let us know what happened.

Has that converter/pump combo been together before? Some pumps need a bit of grinding on the front of the casting to clear the converter case. Did it break the inner pump gear?
Doug

Bummer. Hope it didn't trash anything inside. Once in awhile, ya get lucky.

Has that converter/pump combo been together before? Some pumps need a bit of grinding on the front of the casting to clear the converter case. Did it break the inner pump gear?
Doug

Yes, used that converter in that particular trans as well as the one in the dart with no issues previously. I had the convertor rebuilt though and had not pulled it since.

The converter is definitely "broke" and the culprit. Also appears to be running out of center and contacting the pump for some odd reason. Took the trans over to my dads and we pulled it down. Other than the reaction shaft it's mint. So now I need to send the converter off somewhere, won't be the same place as last time. Also gotta check the end play on my engine, hope that didn't screw the thrust up. Gonna do some measuring on the crank flange. Something isn't right whether it was the convertor, crankshaft flange, or maybe block dowls..

IMG_0386.JPG
IMG_0387.JPG
IMG_0388.JPG
IMG_0392.JPG

What brand was that convertor if I may ask?

Sent converter out, apparently it broke the turbine. I did notice parts floating around when i boxed it up. It was not hitting the pump.. Unfortunately the company I sent it too cannot do anything with it. I have a relatively fresh J converter so I'm gonna give that a shot. I did check on a few new ones, ATI recommended a tight 8", Ptc 9 1/2, & coan said 9". Guess I'll see how the j acts before I do anything. My other option is to go back to a clutch, I have a hemi box sitting here that needs some parts. I could make it happen though for probably slightly more than a new converter, depending who I choose.

IMG_0397.JPG

I got a 10" 3800 you can try. It has no time in it really. It was a little tight for a big port 440.

I have a PTC 9 1/2 in my street car. We ran one in the turbo car before we upgraded as well (still running PTC). They were both the $450 model(may have gone up a little). Both work great. The one in my car is with-in less than .10 of a 8" Turbo action stock eliminator converter I have. The Turbo Action is a good converter. It's been tested in several cars, they've all gone quicker with it.
Doug

I ran the ptc 9.5 in my 64. No complaints. The 10" I have is a turbo action just was a tad to tight for the combo. The ptc big thumbs up

Thanks I appreciate that, I don't think I'll really like a 10". My 9 1/2 was pretty loose (flashed around 4800) and I loved it. My J is in the trans now, I'll slip it in and try it. Started digging out my 4 speed parts also...

I bought a 9 1/2 PTC, haven't got it on the road yet. But came highly recommended.

I ran a 9.5 PTC in my GTX and went from 11.80's to 11.20's with nothing more than a converter change. It was a 450 dollar street unit.
After the converter went in my Barracuda, I put the PTC in and there was no difference in 60 ft. Et. Or mph from what the car came with.
I was stunned.

Auto Transport Service
Back