• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Mopar, No-Spark Issue (Among Other Problems)

TK-421

Local time
1:16 PM
Reaction score
Hello all. I recently picked up a Satellite Sebring that was turned into a Roadrunner clone. It's a 318 car with a column-shift 3 speed auto, nothing special. It used to be a blue on blue car but the exterior is black with a black 3/4 vinyl top, a good look I think. The 318 is lightly modded. One of the previous owners installed long-tubes, a mild cam (unknown grind), and a 4-barrel dual-plane Summit intake upon which sits a 600cfm Eddie carb (a 1405 I think). The car has largely been sitting in a barn for the last few years or so and taken out to drive maybe once a month. It was running when I received it. This is where the issues start.

The car was brought over on a trailer. It drove itself up the trailer then back off and parked over next to my Cougar. It was backfiring quite a bit at idle and off-throttle but it was otherwise running ok and sounded healthy. The owner mentioned the backfire before and I figured maybe the initial timing was off. I noticed it was backfiring only on the right bank so I checked out the plug wiring from the distributor and it turns out the wires for cylinders 2 and 4 had been swapped. I put that right and started her up. Backfire gone. The car was running but was stumbling a little so I adjusted the carb idle for best vacuum (only managed 7 in, seems low) then leaned it out a bit and it was idling nicely. It sounded good and returned to idle after revs without stumbling or stalling. This is when things went kinda pear-shaped.

I let the car sit and idle until warm, about 160 degrees according to the aftermarket temp gauge. At this point, the engine shut itself off. It was like someone just cut off the ignition. No stumbling at all, it simply shut off and wouldn't start again. After about ten minutes, I got it going again but only if I kept the RPMs up. Once I let it idle again it died. Since then I can't get it to start. Checked the carb and, despite the dirt, it seemed functional, accel pump and all. Threw a spark tester between plug and wire. Sure enough, no spark. Checked another cylinder on the opposite bank, same story. So, I'm thinking the issue is either the distributor, coil, or ballast. Though I haven't figured out how to test those so there's more research to do. I hear that Mopar ignition systems tend to have issues working when warm once they age some.

But there's more. The previous owner and I had replaced the spark plugs some days prior as they were horribly fouled. The engine had definitely been running rich for quite some time. Or perhaps poor spark had kept the fuel from burning properly. In any case, the new plugs are now fouled as well. The one I pulled was also still a little wet. Presumably from my unsuccessful efforts to start the engine. Is the carb or jetting too big maybe? I've read that a 600cfm suits a lightly built 318 just fine. And Eddies are usually fairly plug and play. The way the throttle linkage is set up doesn't quite look right to me, though. As I understand it, certain linkage kits and some creativity may be needed for proper mounting of a 4 barrel Eddie. Or maybe it is set up alright. I'm sure you'll know better.

Also, the carb is square bore but the intake is designed for a thermo-quad. This is certainly less than ideal. The cost for a new carb or intake is roughly the same so I'm thinking maybe to pick up an Eddie Air Gap intake. The ports will be a bit large but I intend to swap heads at some point. Should be ok in the meantime, I think.

So, yeah. That's what I've got going on. Sorry for the long first post. If you've got any advice to impart or pertinent threads to point to I'm happy to hear it.
20200328_183802.jpg
20200329_180402.jpg
20200330_170730.jpg

Does the car have mopar electronic ignition?

Same question as Halifaxhops, if it is a Mopar Electronic ignition my bet is the ballast. It is a known weak link with that ignition system. It's cheap to replace and if that's not it it's still a good idea to have a spare in the glove box. I assume you have checked and are not getting fire to the distributor from the coil right?

Acting like a bad pickup, they do that on the way out get hot and open up internally, if it was a ballast it would not start up again and as Bill posted you should keep a spare in the car. If it is a points system I bet some one put a new condenser in they fail hot also.

Acting like a bad pickup, they do that on the way out get hot and open up internally, if it was a ballast it would not start up again and as Bill posted you should keep a spare in the car. If it is a points system I bet some one put a new condenser in they fail hot also.
Good point

Thanks Bill I deal with this stuff almost daily. The new parts really suck especially condensers, I will not use the new ones 50% fail rate with them.

Thanks Bill I deal with this stuff almost daily. The new parts really suck especially condensers, I will not use the new ones 50% fail rate with them.
I doubt he has points in a 74 but I've seen crazier swaps than that so we'll wait on the OPs reply.
TK-421, keep us posted on what you find out. Welcome aboard by the way!

Does the car have mopar electronic ignition?
I don't know. I'm not familiar with the Mopar electric ignition system. I'll have to check later. I'm thinking that an electronic unit won't have points? Should be easy to check if so.

I can walk you though it if needed.

I don't know. I'm not familiar with the Mopar electric ignition system. I'll have to check later. I'm thinking that an electronic unit won't have points? Should be easy to check if so.
correct, no points if electronic. Electronic will have an ECU on the firewall

Same question as Halifaxhops, if it is a Mopar Electronic ignition my bet is the ballast. It is a known weak link with that ignition system. It's cheap to replace and if that's not it it's still a good idea to have a spare in the glove box. I assume you have checked and are not getting fire to the distributor from the coil right?
I was about to say "I checked" but thinking back on it I don't think I did it right. I'll test it later today and report back. As for the ballast, sounds I'll go ahead and pick up a couple regardless of the part at fault.

Does it restart up ok after cooling off for several hours?

I don't want to overload you with information when you don't even know what the problem is yet but if it comes to buying major components or if you want to upgrade, I can highly recommend FBO ignition. Don is a great guy and sells top notch, made in the USA products. His ECU is outstanding. Just food for though if it comes to that.
http://4secondsflat.com/Ignition.html

Welcome to FBBO
albeit this isn't the proper forum for Q&A tech or answers
this is just the welcome wagon to get to know each other
share a few photos etc.

maybe post this in the Electrical or Ignition section here
or general discussion forums here instead

you can use the search feature to on the top right of the page

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

a few Ideas to check

bad Ballast resister,
the dark blue wire should have voltage on both sides of the ballast resister

Bad grounds,
need good grounds, especially to the engine to body
& body to battery/chassis

paint or rust/corrosion under/or bad ground on the CEI box
on the fire wall

MoPars are notorious for
firewall/bulkhead connectors are rusty/oxidized or corroded,
could need some cleaning, be careful unplugging them, they can be really brittle

or Fusible link is blown/bad
good luck hope some of that helps

Chrysler Electronic Ignition Wire Diagram 2 Pin Ballast w-4-pin module.jpg

Chrysler Electronic Ignition Wire Diagram 4 pin Ballast & Electronic Volt. Regulator.jpg

So, definitely an electronic distributor. Oddly enough I'm getting spark now, though the car still won't run. Holding the large coil wire next to the main distributor cap terminal shows a good spark going to the distributor. And now I am getting spark to the plugs too. At first crank, the engine started then immediately quit. Won't start now but still getting spark. Given enough time to sit it does the same thing: start up and immediately quit.

So, definitely an electronic distributor. Oddly enough I'm getting spark now, though the car still won't run. Holding the large coil wire next to the main distributor cap terminal shows a good spark going to the distributor. And now I am getting spark to the plugs too. At first crank, the engine started then immediately quit. Won't start now but still getting spark. Given enough time to sit it does the same thing: start up and immediately quit.

Any updates? Are you sure the motor is getting fuel?

Auto Transport Service
Back