• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Project Car in 30 years

JimKueneman

Local time
10:57 AM
Reaction score
I am looking for a project car to get back into the groove. What is anyones opinion on this '68 Satellite? It is has a 318, A/C, Power Steering and Brakes. It is currently in the southwest but clearly did not start its life there. It looks like it has the rear window rust out problems bad but the rest does not look too bad. I am getting photos of inside the trunk, quarter panels, and underbody before I make the long trek to see it in person. It seems like all the original parts under the hood and interior are there.

http://www.mustangpeak.net/Satty1.tiff
http://www.mustangpeak.net/Satty2.tiff
http://www.mustangpeak.net/Satty3.tiff
http://www.mustangpeak.net/Satty4.tiff

The motor is said to run.

Clearly has some sheet metal work but it does not seem to be too far gone from these photos. The inner front fenders look solid. If I can get this for less than $3500 is it worth it? It seems like a good project to get my feet wet again with.

Thanks,
Jim

If you have the skills to do the bodywork then go for it. Sounds like you know what to look for. 3500 is a good starting point but you will drop another 5 into it without even knowing where it went...

Thanks, it does have more body work required than I have attempted before (or really wanted to do). I guess I need to try to decide if I want to wait and find something in better condition with a more premium $$

Jim

If it isn't too rusty, I'm sure you could do well on flipping it, towards something more suited to what you want to do.

Yes! But FYI carb is at the back, it's not a 383. Still a sweet looking car though.

Nice. Smart to get an Arizona car. Is it a big block? Love the 500's.

Jim i hope your cars running ready to go that looks like a nice car don't miss that one

Can someone help explain this tag? The first 4 digits make sense (Coronet, Premium, 2 Door Hardtop) but after that....

http://www.mustangpeak.net/coronet/IMG_0483.JPG

Thanks,
Jim

Got it:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=85

CAR: Dodge Coronet 500 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 318cid 2-bbl V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: 7.75x14 White Side Wall
BUILD DATE: August 23.
AXLE: 2.94 Rear Axle Ratio, Sure Grip
INTERIOR: Premium Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Black Interior.
PAINT: Monotone Paint.
OTHER:

MOLDINGS:
19: Wide Sill Mouldings
25: Drip Rail Mouldings
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
A1: 26in Radiator
H1: Power Brakes
N8: Rear Window Defogger
S1: Air Conditioning
X1: Tinted Glass (all)

abc OPTIONS:
a6: Console
b4: Bucket Seats
h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators
m6: Driver's Outside Remote Operated Mirror
u1: Sold Car When Built (Somebody Ordered It)

Last edited:
Sweet looking car, hope you get it

Going to look at it in person and give him the cash tomorrow if it all checks out. Looks like it was grandpa's car. What to do now? Super Bee Clone or keep it as stock and original as possible? I know this is not a highly desirable model (though the 500 helps) but if it really is 100% original I would feel guilty doing anything to it! At least the Satellite was enough of a basket case that I could do what I wanted an not feel guilty :). Maybe I need 2 new Mopars to get back into the hobby.....mmmmm.... oh honey what do you think about this idea....

Jim

Keep the 500 Trim and shove a big block in. Nice factory color too. We have enough Bee Clones.

Good question. Crossmember, USCartool subframe connectors come to mind. Aftermarket air from either Classic Auto Air, Tampa that I use and Vintage Air seem to be the industry standard now.

Well I am now a Mopar owner. I bought the '68 Coronet 500. It is virtually untouched since 1968, the interior is spotless with just a few splits in the drivers seat from the vinyl getting dry and hard. Carpet, headliner, door panels are like new. The console is a time capsule with a Pennsylvania Exxon map that is a circa 1970's early 80's at the latest and sunglasses. Original paint that looks like something was scrapped down each side in storage which caused a couple small dents. Original jack is in the trunk along with original spare tire (I think). 88k miles and has been in storage. It is one of those text book stories. Ordered and bought new in Pennsylvania circa 1968. Migration west over the years. Car put in storage. 2015 home needs work and makes deal with handyman to trade car for labor to fix the house. Handyman is an old hot rodder from the 50's so he sort of knows what the car is worth. I did not get a deal of the century nor did I spend too much that I can't immediately dive in and start a restoration on the old girl. It will be in the garage tomorrow night :)

Since it started life in Pennsylvania it does have some rust starting in the seam areas on the sheet metal. It is still very solid but it needs attention to stop what has begun. I will asking lots of questions in the future about dealing with this for sure!

12961503_1102852516417331_2184991390076915445_n.jpg

Let me be the first to congratulate you. Sounds like a great deal and it all checked out, which is rare. With any luck it will fire right up. The 318 is a great motor. Survivor car - WOW!

Let me be the first to congratulate you. Sounds like a great deal and it all checked out, which is rare. With any luck it will fire right up. The 318 is a great motor. Survivor car - WOW!

It was started in September to get it on the car dolly to take it to the guys house. It did nothing when he tried to start it the next time so he took the starter to a shop in Tucson who checked it out and said "nothing wrong". It is in a box in the trunk as the guy did not put it back on, that must have been the decision point to sell it. He did not want to work on it.

awesome find!

Here is the exact Craig's List ad. Note there were no photos in it and the text number was a <18 year old grandson who I was conversing with because the owner was old school and did not have a cell phone. That answered a number of strange conversations I had on the text interchanges. I was a bit anxious heading into the middle of nowhere to a "town" of less than 200 with a reputation for being rather lawless with a pocket full of cash not even knowing the address I was going to "we will meet you at the intersection at the top of the hill but the big tree and lead you in, the roads are bad but your car will make it"

dodge coronet for sale OBO - $6500 (arivaca)

I have an old 1960s dodge coronet that I just don't have time to fix. needs some work bu it'll start. Just got new title. asking 6500 obo. text only.

That was it! The Dodge gods meant for me to own it.
Jim

Auto Transport Service
Back