• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First time caller, long time listener...

angus

Local time
1:33 PM
Reaction score
So hey, I've been hanging out over on the C-bodies forum as I own a '77 Chrysler, and a '64 Chrysler. Unfortunately, as I am the last one to know, my '64 Chrysler is not a C-Body but a B-Body.

Anyway, about me, I am restoring a 1964 Chrysler New Yorker 2-door hardtop. It's a Canadian car, I guess they were exclusive to Canada. I am done the metalwork (floors, quarters). Most of the parts for this project are coming from a 1964 New Yorker Sedan out of California. The California car was bought for its drivetrain too as it had a good running motor. We drove it home from Santa Clara when we bought it. That was in 2008.

I started this 2-door project in 2014. One of the first things I did was remove the subframe from the sedan with the engine and trans attached and put it away as I did the bodywork. I pulled the subframe out of storage on the first day of the New Year. I got the engine onto a stand yesterday and after some cleanup I found the block casting numbers. After looking them up turns out I don't have a 413.

I have 383 from 1962. I'm still reeling from this turn of events but I'm starting to come to terms. What I'm looking to do now is find out more about this engine. the Block is stamped with S-38 HP and a Maltese cross. Via the internet, I think I cracked the code. It seems S = 62, 38=383, Maltese Cross = undersized bearing shells and HP = High Performance. My question is - what does "High Performance" mean? It is equipped with a 4-barrel manifold that seems to be date coded to the same period. I suspect that is related to the high-performance denotation but - is there a cam upgrade? What else?

Really I am looking for any information on these engines. What I've found so far has come from this forum. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Angus, is that you? :welcome:
You're going to hear a lot of people saying...show us pictures!

Well, not me. I'm just going to sit back and let everyone else do the asking. :)

Far as I know, your '64 is a C body. Actually they weren't called C body until 1965 but you've got the same architecture underneath. You're right about the 2 door hard top being a Canada model, but Chrysler didn't have a B body until the Cordoba.

Anyway, a 383 is still a big block and can still be a great cruising engine.

Here it is: Post some pictures! Oh yeah, and welcome from West Virginia!!!

Welcome aboard from Ohio.

Welcome from Missouri!! Nothing wrong with a 383, enjoy!!

Thanks for the welcome. Yup, Angus. This engine plunges me directly into the B-body world - I think... 63-64 Chryslers are kinda weird ducks. I agree their nameplates (New Yorker, Saratoga, Windsor and Newport) plunge them in the C-body world but they share a lot of DNA with the earlier Furys. I'm a bit obsessed with the Youtube channel "Cold war Motors" and the longterm 1960 Plymouth Fury floor pan is identical to my 64 NY. That being said - I'll be a part of any forum that'll have me. Here are some pics... remember you asked for it...

NY1.jpg

NY2.jpg

NY3.jpeg

NY4.jpeg

NY5.jpeg

NY6.jpeg

NY7.jpeg

NY8.jpeg

NY9.jpeg
NY10.jpeg

Welcome, hurry up and get that car done so you can bring it to the capital hill Mopar only car show - third week in August!

welcome to FBBO & good luck

Auto Transport Service
Back