• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

first time engine start with dry transmission

Frankb

Local time
3:11 AM
Reaction score
Almost ready for first engine start with engine in the car. Transmission, 727 by Protrans, has sat for about 2 years now. It was run on dyno but shipped dry so nothing in the pan. I put about 1/2 quart fluid in converter before converter install. How much fluid should I put in trans before engine start? It has a deep pan. Also I don't have a driveshaft yet but shifter is installed and adjusted. Any issues with running without a driveshaft? Shifter moves input shaft correctly through all gears. Verified visually. Trans has RMVB if that makes any difference. Waiting on a response from Protrans so I thought I'd run it by you guys also. Thanks
Frank

You can put 5 quarts in the pan and then fill to correct level as soon as possible. It shouldn't be run 5 quarts (approximately) low for any amount of time. I believe you will make a mess on your floor without a drive shaft installed.
Mike

Put a yoke in. Put a want ad for a yoke, small u-joint should be cheap.

Well, you want to do it in neutral so the pump pumps.
Would a yoke walk out? Never done it that I recall.

I used a yoke in mine before I had my driveshaft made. And as said above, start it in neutral. The pump doesn't push fluid in park. I've got a deep sump and it takes quite a bit to fill.

Be careful shifting it if you don't have a driveshaft in...Don't go from drive to reverse or vise versa...As stated...Start in neutral and leave it there till you shut it down...

Thanks. Never thought about putting a yoke in. I'll hold off on the engine runs until I get a driveshaft. Car is still on jacks and I was going to run engine while on jacks. Guess it's down-jack time, take measurements, and call Dr. Diff for a driveshaft
Frank

Just thought off this. I still have the original drive shaft for this car, however, it went to an 8 3/4 rear. The current rear in the car is an S60. Could this shaft be temp installed just to get the initial engine runs completed? Without damaging anything??

Just DONT do it without the other end of the driveshaft hooked up!

While I sometimes don't have the best luck and it may indeed stay in place for someone else, I put a yoke in my 833 4 speed and when I was breaking the engine in, the yoke flew out of the back of the transmission banged around underneath the car and whacked my floor pan. It didn't hurt anything but it certainly got my attention when breaking the engine in.

That 727 output shaft will still turn even in neutral. I wouldn't do it without the driveshaft hooked up front and rear.

Last engine break-in I did with the car on jack stands, transmission in neutral, the rear wheels were spinning at probably a 15 to 20 mph rate with the engine running at 2200 rpm.

Unless the rear wheels are on the ground to provide a load, the trans output shaft/driveshaft will turn even when in neutral.

Yeah I guess its not worth risking breaking something at this stage. The driveshaft will take about 2 weeks to get here so have to wait. Thanks for all your input.
Frank

I do not see any problem running the engine without the DS, but the yoke should be fitted to stop fluid pouring out.

Also, run it in neutral not park when you start it to pump trans fluid so it isn't dry.

Auto Transport Service
Back