• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First time ever attempting.

Hemi2Much

Local time
6:40 PM
Reaction score
This is the first headliner I have ever installed. I think it turned out pretty nice.
The only slack or wrinkles are in the rear sail panel way down in the bottom.
I still have some trimming to do and need to glue up the A pillars
processed-86ab0501-f94c-4640-813e-1ea7c14c0dc1_K0o05NNS.jpeg
processed-a00c9534-4847-43ba-aaee-4f2dc4e8d89d_9yCXM137.jpeg
processed-3705034a-0a73-4645-84dd-4ad5c1631e27_6txzBDcg.jpeg
processed-a00c9534-4847-43ba-aaee-4f2dc4e8d89d_9yCXM137.jpeg
processed-3705034a-0a73-4645-84dd-4ad5c1631e27_6txzBDcg.jpeg

Nice. Try a hair dryer to get the wrinkles out. Its not to hot to melt the material. Just move back and forth slowly.

Very nice. You could also try a steamer on those very small wrinkles. The steam gets the vinyl warm to help stretch it and a little steam gets to the back side through the perforation holes to shrink the cotton backing a little.

Looks good. Got any tips for those of us that want to give it a try?

Mine looked the same too. After about a year, the sun and heat made the headliner shrink enough to eliminate the wrinkles...

Looks good. Got any tips for those of us that want to give it a try?

Tools I used: Dap Contact Adhesive, Razor blades (6), Cheap 2" paintbrush (for adhesive), 2" flexible scraper, Painters tape, permanent marker, 3M spray adhesive 90, wire wheel cup in a cordless drill, 1 or 2 rags, & paint thinner

This is what I did. Not saying it's correct or the only way to do it, Just what worked for me.
When pulling rods out, Number each rod with painter's tape and use a permanent marker to write #1 Drivers side, #2 Driver side, #3 Drivers side, & #4 Drivers side.
the rods should go back in the exact same way they came out.

Make sure everything is clean, around all edges and roof. I used a wire wheel cup in a drill to clean the glue and remaining sound deadener off the roof. I then wiped it down with a rag and a little paint thinner and cleaned all the edges with a rag and paint thinner where the edges are glued.
I sprayed the roof and the back of the sound deadener with 3M adhesive 90 and waited about 15 minutes and placed the deadener on the roof.
I placed the headliner face down on a clean surface in the same orientation that it would go in the car and laid out the rods in respectable places. Starting at the rear (#4 rod), the longest rod I measured the rod and then measured the loop in the headliner, It was way too long so I cut a slit in the loop about 3 inches from the length of the rod on each end and continued with the #3,#2,&#1 rods with the same process. I slid each rod in its respectable loop.
Make sure to put the rods in the correct orientation and sequence.
I then rolled the headliner up with the furthest rear rod being in my hands and the rest of the headliner in my lap as I'm inside the car facing the rear. I put the #4 rod up in the holders on each side, there are two wire hooks that go from the rear window edge to the #4 rod, hook the two hooks around the rod. These hooks allow you to pull the headliner forward without pulling it too far as you continue pulling forward on the headliner. I placed the #3 rod in the holders on each side and pulled the rod up into place and continued this process with the #2 & #1 rods.
With all of the rods in place, I started in the very center of the headliner where the rearview mirror would be, pull as much tension on the headliner as I can, and use my thumbs to hook the headliner over the teeth. Try to work in an even fashion as you work the entire front edge by the windshield. I would work the headliner about a foot and then move to the other side from left side to right side. and keep pulling as much tension out as you can, as you continue moving around to the door area and rear quarter window. I only went about halfway down the rear quarter window and then mover to the center of the rear windshield and did the same process around the rear windshield pulling towards the back of the car to get as much tension out of the headliner as you hook the headliner over the teeth on the edging.
Once I got about halfway down the rear windshield I jumped back and forth from the rear quarter window to the rear windshield.
I found it helpful to use the 2" scraper to gently push the headliner up into the crevis of the windshields as I hooked the headliner on the toothed edge.
once the entire edge of the headliner was in place around all toothed edges, I then used the Dap contact adhesive and the 2" paintbrush to glue around all of the edges and the backside of the headliner and waited about 15 minutes and placed the glued edges up into place.
I had used tape to mark where the rearview mirror would be on the front windshield
so I had a general idea where to put the mirror you can easily feel where the holes are for most of the accessories like the clothes hooks and mirror.
The first thing to put on is the rearview mirror because you can then put the visor peg into the mirror hold for the visor and they pretty much line themselves up for you.
( No Guessing ) All I had to do was put a little bit of upwards pressure on the visor hold with the three screw holes and it easily pushed up into place.
Put the three screws in the visor and continue the process for the other side.
I then placed all of the trim around the front and rear windshields.
Also, I wanted everyone to know that ALL of the trim around the front and rear windshield and the door window trim and rear sail panel trim and seals has to be removed prior to installation. It's the only way to get to the toothed edging trim for the outside edge and reglue the headliner on the outside edges.
I also forgot to mention that I did replace the cardboard on the rear sail panels as well but I have not cut the holes for the two lights in the panels yet.
I wanted to give that area some time to stretch and settle before I made those cuts.
All together it took me about 6 hours to do this install.
I don't know if this will be of much help but I figured I was asked and I would explain it the best I could.

I've saved your 'instructions' in case I get brave enough to try this myself on my '66. Thanks.

Very nice work. I just did some work on the sail panel area of my 66 to get some of the wrinkles out. Not an easy job.

Nice.

You want to come do mine?

Those sail panels are tough to get tight, especially if the back glass is still in. Also getting the listing trimmed back enough to keep it from bunching up.
I did my wifes 68 Stang and it was fairly simple, however my 67 Dodge had a full cage which added another level of pita. I decided to do away with the cage and now need to go back and remove a few wrinkles since the cage isnt pushing on it anymore.
Looks very good, congrats !

Auto Transport Service
Back