• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FiTech Go EFI 8 - 1200 HP, #30012 on Charger project

451Mopar

Local time
4:39 PM
Reaction score
I though that I would start a thread on my experiment of putting the FiTech EFI on my '71 Charger.
Why is it an experiment? Originally I bought the EFI to put on a milider engine and that project is on hold, so I decided to try it out on the 500" Stroker (400 based) engine in the '71 Charger.
This engine has the Hughes CNC ported Edelbrock Victor MW heads, Indy 400-2 (4150 flange) MW single plane intake, and a big solid roller cam. Comp HXL lobes 272/278 @ 0.050" duration. 0.726" lift, 110 LSA cam. At Mile high altitude, idle vacuum is really low, maybe 4-5"?
All the things that everyone says will make EFI hard to tune?
Trying to save about $300 by not buying the MSD Dist and adjustable rotor kit, I am using a stock lean burn dist from a '77-78 Cordoba 400.
I also decided for compatibility with the EFI unit to use FiTechs Hy-Fuel Single pump in tank retrofit pump kit #40019. It has a 340lph pump. I will be running the EFI units bypass, not the pump kits bypass.

More info and pictures to follow. I should have the fuel pump and other fittings by this weekend.

Fuel system info and research.
I found that the Fi Tech EFI is rated to handle fuel pumps that pull up to 15 Amps , and the built in bypass is rated to 340 Lph flow.
Using a larger pump would require running a fuel pump relay or other higher current controller if PWM is used. Also FiTech recommends an External pressure regulator if the pump flows more than 340 Lph.
I tried the EFI unit with the Walbro 450 lph pump and it seemed to work, but I was not checking fuel rail pressure. It also would power the pump directly for my short test, but the 450 lph pump should be right at to slightly above the rated 15 amps at the 58 psi regulator pressure?
Because I needed a way to mount the pump in the tank anyway (Fuel cell in my case), I ordered the Hy-Fuel #40019 retro-fit pump kit that has the 340 lph pump.

Ignition system info.
On my initial trial start up, I used the same distributor that was used with the carb setup.
On the EFI controller, you just set it to "TACH" and it reads the RPM signal on the "blue" wire to the ECU.
Converting to use the ECU to control the ignition timing, the ECU has to be changed from "TACH" to "VRCOIL".
This uses the magnetic pickup from a "locked out" distributor (Lean burn version in my case), and then either triggers the coil or Ignition bix with the ECUs "Black" wire. In this configuration the "blue" wire is not used.

I am working on the correct setup for the Lean Burn Dist. I am getting an extra dist cap with my fuel pump order, that I will modify so the rotor phasing can bee seen. There is more to come on this experiment, but should save me $$$ compared to buying the MSD Distrubitor.

FYI
Holley makes an efi retro pump kit specifically for fuel cells, the largest ive seen though was the 340lph...

I have the same setup on my 472 hemi and I used a Tanks Inc. fuel pump and tank. I'm not a racer but for what I do it seems more than adequate. I got the biggest pump to supply the 2 throttle barrels. The pump is the GPA-6 supporting up to 1000 H.P.. I have setup almost 2 years now and so far trouble free. I like the instant start after not using car for a week or two due to snowy or rainy weather.

I am leaning towards going with the Fitech 1200 hp dual quad fuel injection system for my 472 Hemi. The kit I am looking at is #FIF30064. My Hemi is around 750 horsepower. I will be following your thread to see how you kit works out, because I was planning to order the setup next week.

Looking forward to seeing how this system works with a big cam and low vacuum

Thought about doing the same on my Hemi (Fitech 1200hp). Company would not share the tuning software or even screen shots.

Interested to hear how it works out for you as well.

Thought about doing the same on my Hemi (Fitech 1200hp). Company would not share the tuning software or even screen shots.

Interested to hear how it works out for you as well.
That’s odd, IIRC the software is only available for the 1200 system

UPS Just showed up with the parts I ordered, except the fuel pump kit. It should be here tomorrow.
Some background on what I am working with for the fuel system.
The original fuel system that I am working with in the Charger has a 20-Gallon aluminum fuel cell in the trunk. It was supposed to be temporary 20 years ago, because that was supposed to go into another car...
Anyhow, the tank has -8 AN lines going to a Mallory 500 filter then into a Mallory 250 GPH pump, through a bulkhead in the trunk floor, then -8 AN lines under the car up to the engine compartment. This pressure side of the fuel line then goes into a Mallory by-pass regulator.
Two of the regulator ports are plumbed with -6 AN to each fuel bowl, and the return line is -8 AN going back to the fuel cell, routed like the pressure line.
So, since the EFI stuff is -6 AN, I just got some -6 to -8 adaptors to use the existing -8 lines under the car for now, just in case I need too go back to a carb?
One of the parts that I got today is the K&N 25-micron screen filter with -6 AN connections on each end.
Also, got the MSD mag pickup wiring connectors to make a plug-in connector adaptor to connect the lean burn distributor.
Now to go modify the distributor cap to see the rotor phasing....

Time to get the camera out and start taking pictures...

What kind of power you think that engine make? Mine is similar, 505 with ootb port victor mw heads, 263/[email protected] .693/.694

It has not been dyno tested, so unknown, but at sea-level I would think it would make 700+ HP?
At my altitude, I'm likely giving up 20% power?
I checked the Wallace calculator and it says at 6,000 ft altitude, it is a 126 hp loss (18%).
Anyhow, maybe 574+ HP at this altitude?

It has not been dyno tested, so unknown, but at sea-level I would think it would make 700+ HP?
At my altitude, I'm likely giving up 20% power?
I checked the Wallace calculator and it says at 6,000 ft altitude, it is a 126 hp loss (18%).
Anyhow, maybe 574+ HP at this altitude?
I got the fitech 1200 as well, yours will be fired before mine so I’m taking notes on this thread for sure. Thanks

7F8A9860-A5A6-4AF9-A8FB-9D4F16FCCF72.jpeg

Waiting on my Fitech 1200 to arrive. I'm glad to hear positive comments!

I got the fitech 1200 as well, yours will be fired before mine so I’m taking notes on this thread for sure. Thanks

View attachment 579895

Well, I already "fired" it up. It started easier than with the carb, but I still need to work on getting it to idle better.
It was also pretty easy to wire up. I had already welded an O2 sensor bung in my headers for a O2 gauge, so I did not use the supplied O2 bung that clamps onto the header/exhaust.
Most likely on a mild engine, it would be setup pretty good out of the box?
I could not drive the car because the the fuel system was just a Walbro 450 pump in a 5-gallon fuel jug sitting on the floor.

I joined the Facebook "FiTech Owners Group". The group admin "Marty Neighbour" just posted some user manuals and instruction documents. Some I have seen, and some I haven't?
I have not plugged the FiTech into my laptop yet. I guess there is PC software and (maybe) manuals loaded in the hand held units software that you can view on the laptop computer.

On Youtube, Nashville Early Bronco has some good info on the FiTech, but he phases the Dist different than the FiTech instructions?

Well, I already "fired" it up. It started easier than with the carb, but I still need to work on getting it to idle better.
It was also pretty easy to wire up. I had already welded an O2 sensor bung in my headers for a O2 gauge, so I did not use the supplied O2 bung that clamps onto the header/exhaust.
Most likely on a mild engine, it would be setup pretty good out of the box?
I could not drive the car because the the fuel system was just a Walbro 450 pump in a 5-gallon fuel jug sitting on the floor.

I joined the Facebook "FiTech Owners Group". The group admin "Marty Neighbour" just posted some user manuals and instruction documents. Some I have seen, and some I haven't?
I have not plugged the FiTech into my laptop yet. I guess there is PC software and (maybe) manuals loaded in the hand held units software that you can view on the laptop computer.

On Youtube, Nashville Early Bronco has some good info on the FiTech, but he phases the Dist different than the FiTech instructions?

Ya I watched a few of his videos, I think for now I’ll do my own Timing and run my digital 6al box. He suggests adjusting the iac steps for idle IIRC

Just out of curiosity, can the FITECH control electric fans?

I have a fitech dual quad on my 511 stroker with a tunnel ram. Not running in the car yet, but it ran well on the dyno with timing control. Ran too rich which probably cut down on power a little bit, but I believe that was because the O2 sensor was too close to the exhaust exit. Looking forward to running it in the car soon.

IMG_0995.JPG

Here is a ugly photo of my temporary setup. You can see the old -8 an fuel lines and regulator disconnected.

FiTech 1.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back