• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fitech

Scott Engelhardt

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:41 PM
Reaction score
My buddy called me today. I decided to go a different direction on my 360 in my Ram Charger, would you be interested in my Fitech.
So I think I have another weekend project for the Satellite.
Any tips? Should I buy an EFI ready tank? It has the small engine compartment pressure tank, should I just try it with this?
Any thoughts?

The under hood tanks are known problems... Buy the Tanks Inc tank....

My buddy called me today. I decided to go a different direction on my 360 in my Ram Charger, would you be interested in my Fitech.
So I think I have another weekend project for the Satellite.
Any tips? Should I buy an EFI ready tank? It has the small engine compartment pressure tank, should I just try it with this?
Any thoughts?
Joe Speicher in Fredericksburg had FiTech on his 63 wedge and had a lot of issues. He went back to the carb. That's where I would stay if I were you. Lots of issues with those. Just sayin. Joe works at Case/IH in New Hampton.

I have installed 2 Holley Sniper Master kits and the owners love them. Are they better than a carb? Not really I think Engine masters got more HP out of the carb but the FI seems to be more for people that want their car to start like a honda civic. On the next one I do I will suggest a tank that's already fitted with a pump for EFI. Finding a place to mount the pre-filter-pump and post filter is hard to do under a B-Body. Those 3 items in a row are like 2 1/2 feet long. Where the hell can you put that? lol

I've installed a few. Go directly to an in tank pump and the Holley Sniper seems to be more reliable than the Fitech. A lot of the Fitechs seem to have issues with them.

Like a lot of things, making fuel injection work is all about the quality of the installation. In my opinion, if you are going to add fuel injection you have to go all out. This means an in tank fuel pump, return line, proper fittings and fuel routing. If you don't want to spend the time to purchase and route all this stuff properly then don't bother with FI - you will only have problems.

The other things FI needs are good, clean electrical connections. Few people give electrical connections and systems the respect they need and deserve. Be sure you have very clean grounds, properly sized wiring and good, clean connections that will stay that way. Carefully follow the manufacturer instructions on wiring - it is every bit as important as applying proper toque to a main cap in your engine!

Good luck!

I haven't had any problems with the fitech, and I am even using a lean burn distributor with the timing control.
I did have an issue with the Hyperfuel 40019 in-tank fuel pump because the hose connecting the pump to the bulkhead fitting was not rated for being submersed in fuel. Replaced the fuel line and so far no issues.
If you lived closer, or want to pickup in Colorado, I have a 85 RamCharger fuel tank that is modified with a -6 AN bulkhead for fuel pump pickup when I ran the truck with a carb. I cut a hole in the top of the tank for access, and made a cover for the hole. You could do the same, or just get one of the retro-fit in-tank EFI pump kits where you just make a hole to drop the pump in.

While there is no doubt that there are bad FI units (just as there is bad carbs), but IMO many of those that "have problems" with FI generally did not install the "system" correctly, used inferior components and/or have a substandard electrical system. I have installed a couple of Fitech systems as well as a FAST and Holley HP system and they all work fine, but I installed complete new fuel systems, in tank pumps, and upgraded the electrical systems.

Pressurized tank underhood will fail. Heat soak. Benefit of efi is cooler fuel.

Joe Speicher in Fredericksburg had FiTech on his 63 wedge and had a lot of issues. He went back to the carb. That's where I would stay if I were you. Lots of issues with those. Just sayin. Joe works at Case/IH in New Hampton.
FBBO member CoronetDarter did the same. He said the new Carb runs far better and makes more power than the FITech even when running tip-top

Auto Transport Service
Back