• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fitting a new quarter panel questio

Mheiron

Local time
4:48 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone. New member here but long term car guy on this end.

Any insight into the odd situation below would be much appreciated.

I’m in the process of installing an AMD supplied quarter panel on the driver side of my 69 Charger. First one for me.
Everything fit pretty well until I checked the wheel well and found the edge of the panel at least an inch below the lip of the outer wheel well at the top and back of the wheel well. The fit is good at the front of the wheel well. The pillar fit is good along with the tail panel and the rear window. The outer wheel well has original and patched lips, but both have similar overhangs.
The body lines look good and are lined up.
Thought I was good to tech screw it together when I noticed the overhang.
Texas is 100-deg today so I stopped and thought I’d pose a few questions to the forum before proceeding.

- Has this issue been seen before?
- How was it handled? I really don’t want to bend or cut the original wheel well or the new panel. Everything looks nice on the outside.
- Could the AMD panel be off by 1-1/2”?
-Anything else I could check or try?

Thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Fitment can be a problem. Call AMD and ask them if this is normal. I put full quarter's on my 69 runner. Had to do a few thing's to make them fit. Wish you luck.

Fitment can be a problem. Call AMD and ask them if this is normal. I put full quarter's on my 69 runner. Had to do a few thing's to make them fit. Wish you luck.

you say the outer wheel house has patches on it...…… buy a new outer wheelhouse. trim away the wheel lip portion of the old wheelhouse......use the part or most of the new wheelhouse, whatever works...….with 1/4 panel screwed to the car exactly where you want it; attach the new section of wheelhouse to the 1/4 at the wheel lip...……. then see where it falls on the old wheelhouse, trim and attach.....

Check the rear window opening with the reveal molding carefully, compare with the opposite side. Check the door gap to the quarter - door is straight at the rocker, hinge pins in very good condition. Usually the largest gap is the bottom, along the rocker. Factory tolerance is well over 1/4". Repo panels can be very off.

I put full quarter's on my 69 runner. Had to do a few thing's to make them fit. Wish you luck.

I'd like to hear about that. I put two on my '69 RR and they don't fit worth a damn at the rear taillight extensions.

Sorry Guy's. Had computer malfunction and something posted too many post. Tried to delete but something went hay wire. Sorry.

I'd like to hear about that. I put two on my '69 RR and they don't fit worth a damn at the rear taillight extensions.
You too. Finally got mine to fit after a bunch of body clamp's. Tug and pull also twist it to make it line up. Hope you got yours worked out.

also before any welding.. test fit trunk lid, test fit door with good hinges and fender checking checking the fender to cowl gaps.
It all comes back off when the work starts , but test fit everything.. Just dont look at the door and figure all is good.

I've installed dozens of these on Mopar and other brands. This is pretty standard really. New wheel Arch's will fit worse, needs to be worked to make it fit right.

Auto Transport Service
Back