• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fitting bigger tires

macdiesel

Local time
11:36 AM
Reaction score
My '67 Belvedere came with 255/60R15's in the rear. When I turn hard or hit a bump while turning they rub on the fenders. The fenders aren't getting damaged but the tires are. I was thinking I'd trim the fender lip about 1/4" to 3/8" and see if that works. Has anyone had problems with cracking or tearing after trimming the fenders? Any better ideas? I thought about rolling them but I'm not doing that since it'll probably crack the paint and warp the panel.

You are right dont roll them unless you want cracked paint. Been there, done that. Dont grind on them either. The only way you can do it is by trimming, even then go slow, and stop a lot. You dont want your paint getting hot. After you trim them take sand paper and smooth the edges. You will need a good rust inhibiting paint too.... Lot of trouble for a tire..... I say change tire sizes, or backspacing on your rims........

Rolling the lip on you wheel well makes for a nice clean safe surface. It has been done for years, Eastwood company sells a rolling tool. I believe you can hammer and restore the lip if you ever wanted to do so in the future. i have seen the lip cut off also its just does not look as good to me. It is possible to mask the edge and buzz it off with a die grinder. good luck.

I'm running 15x7 with 245/60/15 tire with a 4 inch back space, clears just fine. As prhousejr said, try a different tire back space combo.

Rolling the lip on you wheel well makes for a nice clean safe surface. It has been done for years, Eastwood company sells a rolling tool. I believe you can hammer and restore the lip if you ever wanted to do so in the future. i have seen the lip cut off also its just does not look as good to me. It is possible to mask the edge and buzz it off with a die grinder. good luck.

I agree, that rolling done right looks good, but it is best to do before body/paint, but be ever so careful on a car with paint.

I'll be cutting it with a body saw so it should be a nice clean cut. That roller from eastwood looks pretty cool but I wonder how my paint will hold up.

just put some air shocks on.
It will stiffen up the back and and give ya less body roll.
Plus it will give you a nice rake... :wtg:

just put some air shocks on.
It will stiffen up the back and and give ya less body roll.
Plus it will give you a nice rake... :wtg:

Luke....don't be seduced by the Dark Side:tongueflap:

Don't forget the ape hangers :rolling:

63_Nova_Spring_Shackles.jpg

Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not the shackles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the challenger i used to have i dropped a couple of bucks and had the leaf springs rebuilt adding an extra spring and rearched which raised it a couple of inches from the flatline worn out springs and stiffened it up in the back a bunch. no more rubbing!
If i remember correctly i had them done at A1 spring in oakland CA and it was around 300 bucks with them doing all the work.

Ruben at A1 is great. I will be visiting them soon for one of my other cars.

I don't think the chuckleheads around where I live would have a clue what to do if I brought a non-import in, much less a '60s muscle car. I'm sure the first thing I'd hear is, "They used to put leaf springs on cars?"

I don't think the chuckleheads around where I live would have a clue what to do if I brought a non-import in, much less a '60s muscle car. I'm sure the first thing I'd hear is, "They used to put leaf springs on cars?"

That is IF they even knew what leaf springs were......:grin:

I have been told to go with a 15x7 rim with a 4 1/2 back space. I currently have a 15 x 10 wheel with a 4" back space. I have a 1966 Coronet 440. I have not done it yet, Money is tight with bad business means at a later date. The guy who told me has a 66 coronet. We both have the same wheel well opening, None. I tried the roller and I gained a little space but not enough.

My 2 cents, Rolling the wheelhouse is the easiest to reverse of all the mods listed but you have to realize that paint and undercoating will not bend and will crack opening up corrosion hot spots on the inner and outer wheelhouse (some areas are inaccessible by the layperson). If you choose to roll them, have a bodyshop shoot some body cavity wax (Waxoil) inside the 1/4 panels above the wheelhouse after you touch up what you can see with the naked eye from the outside...try and think what the long term results could be if you don't protect that precious Mopar metal!
Love the 66/67 B body, wheelhouse clearance has always been an issue. I have moved my springs inboard and am in the process of fabbing mini-tubs to get away from the problem. Which is a major job btw!
Good luck and post some pictures...J

Auto Transport Service
Back