• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fitting front poly bushings in leaf springs?

440beep

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:20 AM
Reaction score
After reading the Mopar Muscle article about rebuilding leaf springs and seeing them use Energy Suspension poly bushings (MN41001G), I bought the poly bushings for my new MP XHD leafs. The rear bushings fit easily enough, but looking at the front bushing and the leaf, how the hell do you get it to fit? I took the bushings with me to the spring shop to have them install the bushings when the re-arch the leafs, and the guy was like "that won't fit, no way." The magazine article makes it sounds like the front bushing just slides right in like the rear bushing, but the front bushing really looks too big. The magazine article states, "the main and the shackle eyelet (seen here) will need to be cleaned out for the poly bushing to fit." Of course they show the easier of the two bushings.

Has anyone else used the Energy Suspension front poly bushings in leaf springs, and if so, how easy is it to get the front bushings in?

And after reading this month's Mopar Muscle, it looks like I can change the leaf springs and leaving the Dana 60 in place, just need to place jack stands under the axle as I take the leafs off. I really didn't want to remove the entire Dana 60 from the car.

The factory xhd springs had a smaller front eye than other springs. You received the wrong bushings. If all else fails you can turn down the bushings you have.

Thanks for that. The kit you quote has the main eye as 1.5", whereas, my current kit has a 2" main eye bushing. These will be going back.

The energy suspension leaf spring bushing kit that you need is # 5.2104

Was thinking that there was more than one size spring eye.....depending on the year of your car? I have a set of heavy duty springs in the rafters that use the small bushing and all of my poly bushings are 2"

Last edited:
Be advised that for street use, those poly bushings in the front eye will surely transmit some serious vibrations.

Be advised that for street use, those poly bushings in the front eye will surely transmit some serious vibrations.

They'd be workin just fine on my A-100 all around with the only vibe being a smooth ride.

I picked up the re-arched MP XHD springs today and they look good. The guy at the shop said to use a ball joint press to press out the new factory bushings. I just watched a few videos on Youtube, and it sure looks straight forward and easy. For those that have done this, is it this easy?

Disregard, got the poly bushings installed over the weekend. Perhaps because I was pressing out brand new rubber bushings instead of old beat the hell ones, it wasn't as easy as videos showed, but still a success.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back