• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Trips to AutoZone(s) for One Diagnostic Tool

Dibbons

Local time
1:30 AM
Reaction score
A friend wanted help on his '91 Jeep Cherokee XJ with a no start situation. I heard the fuel pump kick on for a second or two when the key was switched on, but it sounded weak and kind of sick (not strong and fairly loud like they all normally sound). So I went to the local Autozone which offers free rental (with deposit) of a universal fuel pressure gauge.

We have a '92 Jeep Cherokee XJ, so I tried the gauge on our own running vehicle first, just to get a baseline which was 32 PSI. I went over to check the stranded '91 model and could still hear the pump come on (weakly still) by jumping the relay with a piece of copper wire. Gauge read zero. Called my friend and suggested he purchase a new fuel pump.

Then, just for the heck of it, I tested my wife's running 2001 Jeep Cherokee and found the reading to be zero. That was not possible, so I started looking around. The Schrader valve on the factory 4.0 liter fuel rail appeared to be identical on all three vehicles so I looked around some more. I was surprised to find the pin in the end of the gauge hose was now missing, rendering the borrowed gauge useless. I called my friend back and told him the gauge broke between the time I tested my own vehicle and his vehicle and suggested he not make the fuel pump purchase until I found a functional gauge.

I returned the faulty gauge to Autozone, explained the problem, and was refunded my deposit. I went to another Autozone in the neighborhood and acquired the same gauge on loan, this time checking the end of the hose for the pin before leaving. Now I use the second gauge on the running 2001 Jeep Cherokee to get another baseline and check the instrument. The reading is still zero. That was not possible, so I put the gauge on the running '92 model, still zero. Then I noticed the pressure relieve valve button on the gauge is stuck in the release position and it won't pop back out. Another defective instrument. I return to the second Autozone, explain the problem, and receive my deposit refund.

Now I am off to a third Autozone branch store, the clerk brings out the bright plastic green box with the pressure gauge and sets it down on the counter. As he does so, the lid flies off on its own because the lid hinges are broken. Looks like this may be a bad omen. I extract the gauge and with fingers crossed I inspect the end of the hose and work the pressure relief button. Seems to be OK. I pay another deposit, go back to my '92 Cherokee, and move it to the very back of the Autozone parking lot. I pop the hood and check the fuel pressure. It reads 32 PSI. So tired of all the running around, I go straight home without dropping by to check the broken down '91 Cherokee of my friend. Assuming no more parts fall of the pressure gauge overnight, I'll check the fuel pump pressure first thing tomorrow morning. Maybe this is why I seldom do mechanical diagnosis for my friends?

Don't know what the deal is with AZ but about the only stuff I buy from them is consumables and go elsewhere for everything else.

Honey , grab the kids , I am hungry , where going to AutoZone

I only buy at autozone all the electrical parts that I need, here in Mexico almost nobody offers Warranty in this kind of parts except for autozone.

Auto Transport Service
Back