• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fix my Canoe

tlt23

Local time
11:48 AM
Reaction score
I just picked up a 71 Charger 500. Never got to look at it before purchase and shipped it out here. The front end feels like i am driving a canoe. All over the place. Lots of play in the steering wheel, pull to the left then will float right.

Where is the best place to purchase all the front end parts.

This is going to be a be a bigger project than anticipated.
Thanks
Todd

I just picked up a 71 Charger 500. Never got to look at it before purchase and shipped it out here. The front end feels like i am driving a canoe. All over the place. Lots of play in the steering wheel, pull to the left then will float right.

Thanks
Todd
PST is a site sponsor here, all the suspension parts you'll need.

Thanks
Todd
http://p-s-t.com/

Thanks I'm heading there now.
How often do steering boxes go out, or have a lot of play.

They do wear out. I sent mine off to a company based in California, do not remember their name, for a rebuild.

Thanks I'm heading there now.
How often do steering boxes go out, or have a lot of play.
Rick Ehrenberg from Mopar Action magazine once said that by 80,000 miles, many steering boxes are ready for a rebuild. Keep in mind though that many rebuilders do NOT replace any hard parts inside. Their units are just cleaned and reassembled with new seal and gaskets. Firm Feel in Washington state offers rebuilds using stiffer springs and improved valves for a tighter feel. Them and Steer and Gear in ... Uhhh, Heck I don't recall where Steer and Gear are, I just recall that they are near Michigan or Wisconsin??

You need to do a more thorough analysis before throwing money at it.

It could be one part, possibly the $10 "rag joint".

I ordered Balls for the whole front end and new bushing kit. I didn't even think of the rag joint. What is the easiest way to check that? I will check the box and joint tonight when I get off work then.

Thanks all so far. I know I will have tons more help that I need.

I ordered Balls for the whole front end and new bushing kit. I didn't even think of the rag joint. What is the easiest way to check that? I will check the box and joint tonight when I get off work then.

Thanks all so far. I know I will have tons more help that I need.
Check the idler arm, you complaint sounds like this may be your issue.

Auto Transport Service
Back