• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fixed it, well Maybe.

wagonman

Local time
3:26 PM
Reaction score
On a previous post I chimed in about a fuel starvation on my car. Thought I picked up some H2O giving me a surge and power loss. Well I found the issue. I have a fuel pressure gauge at the carb and it has always read 6 psi. So I took it on my usual ride and sure enough it fell flat and damm near died, picked back up and was ok but still surging. Up the hill to my house I really romped on it and pulled in popped the hood and had 1 psi FP. Ahh Ha. This is with a NAPA pump New about 2 years old. Pulled the pump and while I was at it pulled the FP shaft. Well the new when rebuilt shaft with about 5K miles on it is worn to a tad more than 3 inches and looks like a worn lifter. Called up Summit and got a new Carter pump and a Comp hardened shaft installed. Hopefully the cam lives and all is good. Well Maybe! Will pull it to inspect the shaft after some more miles. Fingers Crossed.

To play it safe did you add any break in molly onto the ends of the new fuel pump push rod?

Hopefully it didnt flatten out the fuel pump lobe

Yup used Comp assembly lube. I put the shaft in then cranked the motor with a starter button, got about 1/4 to 1/2 movement.

Auto Transport Service
Back