• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fixed my BF Goodrich T/A browning issue.

91r/t

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:12 AM
Reaction score
Tonight I fixed my BF Goodrich white letter browning issue. The tires are only two years old and are already pretty brown and won’t clean up with anything which most of you already know is a problem. I finally said screw it and painted the letters tonight with a sharpie oil based white marker with a bold tip. I’d say they turned out pretty good. I refuse to buy new tires when tey are basically brand new! This way it'll get me a few good miles before I get pissed and swap tires. All reviews I read led me to this and they all said after 7-9 months they still held up perfect.

46C8B49D-0E1C-45C1-99D8-A03C6BE29C76.jpeg
8B394560-79AD-432F-9716-9C6C643C9330.jpeg

17C94185-8A7B-4BC8-8475-19620357A654.jpeg

Last edited:
They look great. I hope the repair lasts.

They look great. I hope the repair lasts.

You were one of the original ones I thought of when I was doing it. I just can’t stare at brown letters any longer so I had to try something. I really like the way the new Mickey Thompson sportsman ST white letter tires look because it has a similar letter style and size and shouldn’t brown like the BF goodrich do. Eventually I’m gonna buy those tires, but these freaking things have almost no treadwear on them so I figured this might help for now.

72AF451D-C7C6-4587-9FF1-DA23D4958B8E.jpeg

Last edited:
You were one of the original ones I thought of when I was doing it. I just can’t stare at brown letters any longer so I had to try something. I really like the way the new Mickey Thompson sportsman ST white letter tires look because it has a similar letter style and size and shouldn’t brown like the BF goodrich do. Eventually I’m gonna buy those tires, but these freaking things have almost no treadwear on them so I figured this might help for now.

View attachment 1134227
Dang, I like those.

View attachment 1134227

Tires on my car are twelve years old & have about 36K on them... The tread looks practically new.... For the past year I've been treating them like I did when I was younger, every time I get out in the country I smoke the hell outta them.... I've decided on the next set I'm gonna crank in more camber so the car will corner better & I'll use the HP I have more often.... I hate finding out my tires are unsafe do to age when they still look practically new...

I pulled the ones off my car a few months back. Tread was like new but tires were 15 years old. and I didnt feel safe driving them very far or hard

I really wanted to go back with the BFGs ,,,,,,,but the brown letters issue was the primary reason I went radial redlines

I have 20year old michelinX's on one, and 24 year old uniroyals on another. no cracks, no puppies, smooth at any speed I Intend to go. so I just pay attention, and stay alert as to absolutely any funny squiggy movement. I totally do pay attention, as some brands I would never go more than 7 years on.
Granted these cars never sit out in the sun,and I roll them around regular. Plus I keep them at 35PSI in the winter, it does help.

I painted some white letters on a tire in 2016. That tire is out behind my shed. I will take a picture of it. Used the same type pen 91R/T used. Last time I saw the tire.. Which has been out there for a long time the letters were still as white as the day I painted them. I'm curious now lol. Its been 2 years since I laid eyes on it. We will see.

I had the same problem with my new BFG's when I installed them in 2019. I used lacquer thinner to clean the letters. About 6 months later I had to do it again. Since then, the letters have not darkened and they're snow white.

I had the same problem with my new BFG's when I installed them in 2019. I used lacquer thinner to clean the letters. About 6 months later I had to do it again. Since then, the letters have not darkened and they're snow white.

Ha I used the same and the first time they were white again, but since then NOTHING will make them white. I finally had enough and used the sharpie.......can't be too bad as the wash mitt shouldn't scratch them or knock the paint off.

I pulled the ones off my car a few months back. Tread was like new but tires were 15 years old. and I didnt feel safe driving them very far or hard

I really wanted to go back with the BFGs ,,,,,,,but the brown letters issue was the primary reason I went radial redlines

I would, but I don't think the redlines would look too great with the yellow car. I will go that route on my Roadrunner resto being dark blue. That should look much better.

I tried every kind of cleaner, thinner, even acetone. I got a Scotchbrite disc on a die grinder and removed some material. Much better now but will it last? I bet not.

20210526_165144.jpg 20210526_165124.jpg

I tried every kind of cleaner, thinner, even acetone. I got a Scotchbrite disc on a die grinder and removed some material. Much better now but will it last? I bet not.

View attachment 1134380 View attachment 1134381

Yea it sucks because the browning comes from the inside rubber material out I believe. If that was the case though, you'd have brown letters still so I'd be curious to see your results in a month or so. Keep us posted. If you forget, I will shoot you a PM to see how it held up. I thought about doing the same before painting them! Looks like we both have experiments going on! :D

:thumbsup:

This is what I use.
7040393_tfs_00350_pri_larg.jpg

Cleaning them is one thing. Removing a permanent stain is something else. If you guys have the browning letters you know where I am coming from. If you can clean yours up with a simple cleaner, your tires don't have the issue we are experiencing. BFG knows of the problem and has replaced some tires because of it. In my case Summit is just a reseller and not a warranty dealer. My local dealer didn't want to help with warranty and suggested I contact who I bought them from. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: My fronts are a different size and don't have the issue. I have never cleaned them with anything but car wash soap and they are pure white.

Black wall tires matter.

A friend of mine talked to a sales rep at Carlisle and they told him the browning issue is for sure behind them.

they were so confident in it they would guarantee them for life against it

A friend of mine talked to a sales rep at Carlisle and they told him the browning issue is for sure behind them.

they were so confident in it they would guarantee them for life against it
Thanks for the info. I like the tires, the tread design and the white letter look. I might just buy a new pair for the rear and sell my old ones to someone that wants black sidewall out.

My fronts (225's) aren't brilliant white but are ok. My rears (245's) are shithouse. I'm going to try the painting method because I've tried every cleaning method and had poor results.

Just an FYI for the guys that still think it is "OK" to drive on 20 year old tires if they pay attention. The failure will be an internal (you won't see it until it happens) ply separation.
Sudden and devastating. Your fenders will hate you for doing it.
Just like cancer. You can look great on the outside and still die from from you can't see inside.
Don't temp fate guys. Just like any other oil/rubber/chemical compound, it has a limited life. The date codes are there for more than one reason. It is supposed to be flexible and supple. But chemical concoctions ALWAYS degrade with time.
It is not a block of steel.

Auto Transport Service
Back