• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fixing sloppy areas.

BeepBeepRR

Local time
4:58 AM
Reaction score
Ok having the roadrunner roadworthy now I have discovered a few points I need to address. One is already on its way to being repaired.I ordered a Stage 2 Firm Feel steering gear. The second one is the console shifter. Its a little sloppy and loose feeling. If someone can point me to the right place to repair/rebuild the shifter that would be awesome. Also was there ever a needle in the shifter to show what gear you were in?

Is the shifter sloppy side to side? Mine is too and I was wondering if it's normal or can be adjusted.

Is it a Mopar Inland shifter or a Hurst shifter. Inland shifters were never tight.

Its a factory console shifter. With the brown handle and push button. Just doesn't feel tight Probably should have mentioned its an automatic floor shifter.

Based on my 73, there is a shaft that goes through the transmission tunnel and slides into a bracket that bolts to the transmission. This bracket has a nylon bushing. Check this area as on mine the shaft was worn and created some slop. I don't know if 70's are the same (my 70 is a 4 speed).

There may be other areas to check too, but I just wanted to offer this as a possibility.

Good Luck,

Hawk

Auto Transport Service
Back