Flat tappet break in lube?

2quick

Local time
10:35 AM
Reaction score
I'm Installing a Comp Cams flat tappet cam in my (Not a Mopar) Gen V 454 marine motor, nothing super fancy about 450Hp. I've rebuilt and assembled the short block using Redline assembly lube and have an entire bottle left. In the past I've only used moly lube to break in a flat tappet cam, but I don't have any! Can I use the Redline assembly lube on the cam? Seems kinda thin but the stuff Comp supplies is in a bottle also. Not sure if Comp even uses Moly anymore. What you guys think?

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
Cams need extreme pressure lubricant, not just the normal startup lube.

If you really want to be safe, put some weak springs in it for the break-in period. Then run it over 2000 RPM - NO IDLING!!!

Good Luck

66Satellite47

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:35 AM
Reaction score
On a new flat tappet cam I would use a coat of the cam paste in addition to the break in oil. Mine was from Crane, many cams from the small tub.

4speed68rt

Local time
8:35 AM
Reaction score
It sucks when you flatten a cam. Makes all that assembly work for nothing. I'd get something good to pour in there.

2quick

Local time
Reaction score
Cams need extreme pressure lubricant, not just the normal startup lube.

If you really want to be safe, put some weak springs in it for the break-in period. Then run it over 2000 RPM - NO IDLING!!!

Good Luck
Yea going to use the stock springs (provided I can get the lift out of them ) then after break in swap out the Comp Springs matched to the cam. Going to run on an engine run stand before putting it in the bost as it's a royal PIA to work on it after its installed.

2quick

Local time
Reaction score
On a new flat tappet cam I would use a coat of the cam paste in addition to the break in oil. Mine was from Crane, many cams from the small tub.
Thats what i usually do but looks like comp doesn't provide that anymore , What they sell is in a bottle same as the redline. (Not a paste) unless I'm just not seeing it....

68 HEMI GTS

Local time
Reaction score
I’ve used Joe gibbs assembly grease on my last few flat tappets. Also used their break in oil. It’s been working so I have no plans to change if I do any more flat tappet engines in the future.

Last edited:

Geoff 2

Local time
Reaction score
The trouble with grease/paste is that at the very first contact, it gets pushed out of the way.......which is problably why Comp switched to the liquid lubricant that stays in place.

66Satellite47

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
Also Comp doesn't mind selling you a few cams. How does liquid stay in place any better than paste?

Wietse

Local time
4:35 PM
Reaction score
The moly paste is just there for cranking, once the engine started it will be providing engine oil which will take over.
A coat of paste on all lobes and lifter surfaces will help avoid any startup damage, make sure the engine block is primed manually prior to starting it so the oil flow is faster.
Use a good oil that has a strong oil film like Valvoline VR1.

66Satellite47

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
I agree, the paste is there for a few revs, the oil takes over. I always prime the motor, if new or been sitting a while. Hand cranking to prime doesn't wipe off the paste IMHO.

Mopar Hunter

Local time
Reaction score
I like to use this on assembly, especially cams.

98476F71-FAC0-41DA-9B1A-54E46CA742FF.jpeg

Then add this before start up.

935B48BC-3207-4C82-AA95-7D27D1B64A40.jpeg

Primed with this.

57553238-90D7-4FEE-99C1-D771E67AB1A0.jpeg

68-500

Local time
Reaction score
I’d get the paste. Bet the barrier layer stays on alot longer than a few revs.

Geoff 2

Local time
Reaction score
Post #12. That is when the damage can be done, waiting for oil to arrive......
Post #11. You obviously haven't used the red paste. I have & if you leave it for a couple of weeks, it is still in place because of the high surface tension that it has.

Some common sense please. Comp Cams provide a warranty on their cams. Would they switch to a new break in substance that was going to increase failure rate & increase warranty claims?????????

Geoff 2

Local time
Reaction score
Post #14.
Well said. The Ultra Slick looks to be similar, if not the same, as the Comp stuff. Have you had both side by side?

69Bee

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
Joe Gibbs Driven engine assembly grease does not just wipe off. It is thick and adheres to the cam and lifters and is the BEST product I have seen and used. Hell, I had to remove a cam and reinstall, so I washed it in the jetwash, and even 160 degree cleaner didn't remove all of it. I also use it on valves on assembly because I don't know how long it is going to be before it is started and oil will drain off. The red stuff will drip off too, fyi...

Geoff 2

Local time
Reaction score
Nooooooooooooo, the Comp red stuff does not drip off. Read post #16. I was waiting for parts for a HFT engine I had built. Cam installed with lifters, left for weeks while waiting on other stuff. Upon removing a couple of lifters, the red lube was still in place. And that is exactly where you want it when the engine is fired up.

And now for 2nd time, would Comp Cams switch to a product that is inferior & going to cause failure & warranty returns????????????????????????????????????????????