• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flat Tappet Controlled Break-ln ?

70rcode

Local time
3:01 AM
Reaction score
Any reliability benefits of using intended engine block (without crank & heads) with new camshaft Independently spun up with variable Lifter spring pressure under fully oil lube flooded submersion cam-Tappet condition for controlled break-in ? Cam rpm & tappet psi can be Independently controlled. Similar to the Cam King rig but using My Block, lifters & pushrods in my shop...

How are you going to pressurize the oil galleys? The cam lobes get splash lubrication from oil slinging off of the crank. The heads provide the rocker arms and shafts that use the pushrods to keep the lifters in place.
This is a really strange idea.

Not really...External oil pump jet spray flooded lobes-tappet & pushrods without heads or valve train parts....Cam journals pressurized & break-in not dependent on oil splash lube, so cam rpm & lifter pressure optimized without splash lube rpm speed issues & can critical watch for any abnormal tappet break-in issues....

Uhh, OR just build the engine and run it like M I L L I O N S of other people have done for years.

I think it would be cheaper to buy a roller cam and lifters.
Mike

Sure seems like a lot of work. But go for it.
I'll just stick to my basic break in procedure.

some engine builders do just that. I think its called a spin tron or something like that . I know ive seen something like your thinking about where the engine is spun but not run. filled with lub and what not to test for leaks and oil pressure, give it a shot if you have a bit of time on your hands and definitely let everyone know how it works out

If needed just use a set of old oem springs to break in the cam and lifters.
Then swap in the heavy ones.

Auto Transport Service
Back