• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Floor Shift Conversion Cups- Inner tube - HELP

chickendeluxe

Local time
7:36 PM
Reaction score
Having some trouble reassembling 1969 B Body B Body Column including the new upper Floor shift cups onto original Column Shift column.
The do NOT have a hole for the set screw to lock the inner jacket.

Does anybody have pics or can post a thread or pics of a column conversion?
I saw a RR thread that the member has his column disassembled and detailed.

I also have some parts from an original floor shift column but the outer jacket is bent.

There is a lower spring the pushes the inner jacket upward on the original Floor Shift Column.

Does the inner jacket spin freely when converting??
Or Does the Lower bearing capture the inner jacket?

There are not good Floor shift diagrams in the 68 Parts catalog or in the 69 Service Manual.

Help is appreciated

Thanks in advance

Been a little while since I rebuilt a column but a 69’ floor shift column lower collar dose not have the hole or the set screw. There is a spring that goes between the lower collar and a flat ring inside the outer tube that holds tension on the lower collar. The inner tube is somewhat free to rotate but shouldn’t once the lower spring and bearing holder is in place. And as I type this I’m starting to remember that the inner tube and lower collar are keyed.

Last edited:
Thank You. I have parts from both a floor and column shift.
The outer jacket on the floor shift is bowed, so using the Column outer jacket with the floor shift inner

Last edited:
Thank You. I have parts from both a floor and column shift.
The outer jacket on the floor shift is bowed, so using the Column outer jacket with the floor shift inner

Bowed in the collapsible part? If so that is easily straightened if not damaged

Auto Transport Service
Back