• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Floor shifter for auto

bearman

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:02 AM
Reaction score
What's a good floor shifter for the street. Don't want a bunch ratchet shift just something to put in gear on go. Any good ideas

Well, I use, and love my B&M pro ratchets, but those cars have full manual valve bodies in them, and are raced. I have also used the Turbo Action Cheetah, an excellent piece.
Frankly, if I was in the market for a shifter now, I would buy a Winters sidewinder. Essentially a cheetah, but almost $150 cheaper, been around for 50 years, bulletproof, rear entry cable (very desirable) application specific (won't fit every gm trans under the sun,too) and forward or reverse pattern.
However, they are a gated shifter, so they aren't as convenient to use as a stocker would be, and they are bulky. But if you want a shifter that will last for twenty years......
If you don't like the gated type, a b&m star shifter, or z gate would probably work for you, tho I have no experience with either.
(Funny thing, auto zone a few months back was virtually giving away their stock of TCI shifters, and when I went to buy one, there were none available within 500 miles, and they wouldn't ship......)

I've used the B&M Starshifter that @33 IMP references, it can be used as a standard auto, or a manual ratchet action. It was very solid but that was in '82.

Why not just a factory console shifter. It was designed to just put in gear and go ? Anything special that you are working with ? Did the car have a floor shifter to begin with or has the drive train been changed from original. More details help.

A buddy was asking me about floor shifter. I told him just look around there are so many including stock shifters. The car is a nice street cruiser but its up to him. I just wanted to see what you guys use.

A buddy was asking me about floor shifter. I told him just look around there are so many including stock shifters. The car is a nice street cruiser but its up to him. I just wanted to see what you guys use.
Pro ratchets, with home made pistol grips.

20181125_092625.jpg

20181125_093423.jpg

20181125_093408.jpg

Last edited:
I use what 33 IMP suggests. Winters
Sidewinder. I plan on cutting off the
tabs on the shifter gate to enable
shifts 1 thru 3 as an OEM would
normally operate. The shifter is
rugged and well built. It's been a big
favorite of off-roaders for many years.
IMG_20210616_220402.jpg