• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

flowmaster mufflers

During restoration I replaced with Flomasters because I liked the growl. What do you mean by aggressive? I knew the sound I was looking for - IIRC I went to their website and they had a mechanism by which you could listen to the various sounds and choose that which appealed to you.

The Super40 is a bigger case than the Super 44, so theoretically quieter (but not much). Any delta muffler will be milder than a non-delta.
If you want the MOST aggressive (really?) that's the super 10 (you'll be sorrrreeeee!)
I'm running the 50series big block, giant case with 3 1/2 in/out. I like the sound. You might also consider hooker aero's. Ran 9s thru aeros with a n/a smallblock.
Cherry bomb extreme are LOUD, and cheap as heck. One chamber, $27, and no packing.

Last edited:
The Super40 is a bigger case than the Super 44, so theoretically quieter (but not much). Any delta muffler will be milder than a non-delta.
If you want the MOST aggressive (really?) that's the super 10 (you'll be sorrrreeeee!)
I'm running the 50series big block, giant case with 3 1/2 in/out. I like the sound. You might also consider hooker aero's. Ran 9s thru aeros with a n/a smallblock.
Cherry bomb extreme are LOUD, and cheap as heck. One chamber, $27, and no packing.
i have a stock 1966 hemi, its very quite, need some nice sounded muffler, whats your suggestion ??

I happen to like the "Flowmaster sound", some don't.
The stock hemi muffler is an excellent compromise of noise verses restriction. It is a triple pass muffler. You could get a louder version by going to a triple pass turbo, with a smaller case. It should have a similar tone, just more volume.
I ran a big block 50 series3" fm on my dually pickup, as a single. Nice tone and sound, not much louder than stock.
For a power improvement, and more sound, a dynomax ultra flow straight thru will give both, an excellent muffler, maybe a little too loud for a stock hemi driver. Magnaflow makes a similar. I'm using a pair on my 496 powered Opel.
If it were mine? Direct replacement (same length and pipe size) 50series three chamber flowmasters.
I'm sure there are some here who would disagree.

Last edited:
so/ is the fm 40 and 44 same lenght as stock and pipe size ?? i love flowmasters ? which one of these two mufflers ??

They are both shorter than your hemi mufflers, so you will need some stub pipe added. Of those two, i would choose the Delta 40. Just pick the version that matches current pipe size (you probably have 2 1/2 in, 2 1/4 out.) You could use 2 1/2 in/out.

Not a big fan of Flowmasters - I do like the sound but they don't flow very well.
I don't remember which college in Michigan did this test, but they tested the flow values of the major performance mufflers.
They tested the flow of the muffler vs open pipe.
Here are the results of that testing.

6604983-MufflerComparisionChart.jpg

Not a big fan of Flowmasters - I do like the sound but they don't flow very well.
I don't remember which college in Michigan did this test, but they tested the flow values of the major performance mufflers.
They tested the flow of the muffler vs open pipe.
Here are the results of that testing.

View attachment 1403531
Pretty sure that's Tom Hand's test, a member here,VOETOM. If its not, I'm sure he has something similar. He is THE GO-TO guy here for exhaust info.

The original 40 series two chamber non-deltaflow is still smallest and most aggressive of those two. The only one more aggressive is the 10 series

Following

As I'm looking for something a little more aggressive than stock hemi mufflers for mine.

Not obnoxious just a little more growl than stock

I had a pair of 40s and 3 inch pipes from the 440 headers back. What in the world was I thinking? I couldn't hear anything in the car. She could have a bearing knock and I would never hear it. Took the the whole system off and put 2.5 with turbo mufflers much more tolerable.
Now mind you if I was still in my 20s I probably would have stayed with the 3inch system lol.

Following

As I'm looking for something a little more aggressive than stock hemi mufflers for mine.

Not obnoxious just a little more growl than stock
Okay, for something with the same sound as your hemi mufflers, with little more volume, I would get a quality turbo. Triple pass like the hemis, just shorter and (somewhat) louder.
Looking at Tom's chart above , i would chose either of the dynomax turbos, length determining sound level. Even the ultra flow straight thru are fairly quiet, and out-flow every other muffler in the test.

Dynomax Welded Ultras for the win. Although i do love the sound of Flowmaster 40's at idle, after a couple of miles at cruise the drone becomes a irritant.

Cherry Bomb Pro is my go to muffler now. Basically a flowmaster knock off with better flow directors inside. Engine masters dyno tested as least restrictive.

Auto Transport Service
Back