• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fluid draining rant....

Big Bad Dad

Local time
11:47 PM
Reaction score
I just got to gripe. Damn transmission pans without drain plugs, and radiator drains higher than the lower hose outlet. In the last couple of weeks, I have changed trans fluid in two of my pickups, and am replacing a radiator today. Always, something either won't come loose, or it gets in the way of the desired fluid path. I am considering that I might be just as well off to lay directly under whatever I'm working on, and just drain all the fluid onto myself. Probably save the time used to clean up the floor AND myself anyway... Ugh, rant over, just got out of the shower for the second time in 2 hours this morning.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I just got to gripe. Damn transmission pans without drain plugs, and radiator drains higher than the lower hose outlet. In the last couple of weeks, I have changed trans fluid in two of my pickups, and am replacing a radiator today. Always, something either won't come loose, or it gets in the way of the desired fluid path. I am considering that I might be just as well off to lay directly under whatever I'm working on, and just drain all the fluid onto myself. Probably save the time used to clean up the floor AND myself anyway... Ugh, rant over, just got out of the shower for the second time in 2 hours this morning.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
They make drain plug kits. I went to the hardware store and bought a generic automotive drain plug and a nut to match the threads. Find a place on the pan where the plug won't interfere with the valve body and weld or braise the nut to the inside of the pan. Drill the center out and screw in the drain plug.

Spilled a few drops.
trans3.jpg

Try wrapping your self in a adult diapers. Very absorbent they claim.

Screenshot_20220615-113532.png

You drill a hole. Drain fluid. RTV said hole when draining is complete. Refill said fluid. This way, you need no wrenches for the next fluid drain. Follow me fo more sound automotive advice.

Last edited:
For as bright as automotive engineers can be, they do come up with some equally stupid ideas.
What is the reasoning behind a lack of drain plug?
I read once that it was suggested that it was left out to make sure the oil changes required removal of the pan... which would encourage one to also replace the filter.
If so, they made it so the entire job is a real mess.

An additional 9 cents = hundreds of thousands of manufacturing dollars. Yes, I know, just add the 9 cents to the cost of the car, but they don't seem to want to do that.

For as bright as automotive engineers can be, they do come up with some equally stupid ideas.
I read once that it was suggested that it was left out to make sure the oil changes required removal of the pan... which would encourage one to also replace the filter.
If so, they made it so the entire job is a real mess.
Under normal use Chrysler Corp didn't recommend fluid or filter change. For severe duty and towing, they recommended every 3 years or 36,000 miles for the first service and every 12,000/12 months there after. Adding a drain plug to each pan, parts and the extra labor, multiplied by how many tens of thousand of transmissions built each year for all the models equates to quite a savings for them.

Simply put...They want to make the entire concept of DIYing your routine maintenance next to impossible which will require you to either have a dealership, specialty shop, etc. perform it and then charge you exorbitant amounts of $$$ for what should be a very simple task. Greed and profit is all it is...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

You drill a hole. Drain fluid. RTV said hole when draining is complete. Refill said fluid. This way, you need no wrenches for the next fluid drain. Follow me fo more sound automotive advice.
Should I put duct tape over the RTV for added protection when this is finished? Thanks :lol:

Drain plugs are probably a more important thing nowadays considering the cars last longer, I could see a lot of cars back in the day rusting away long before they needed a trans fluid or diff change.

I learned the hard way at 16 yrs old about changing the trans. fluid.
I worked at the local Gulf station and could use the lifts after the mechanics went home for the day if one was open. I had my truck in the air and I am under the pan and took all the bolts out and it wouldn't break loose so I grab screwdriver and am working my way around cracking it loose when you know what happens next. When it broke free the pan clunked me in the head on the way to the floor and totally drenched me head to toe. Took me forever to clean up me and the mess. I told one of the mechanics the next day what happened and when he quit laughing he let me know to leave a few bolts in across from each other till you break the seal loose. Lesson learned the hard way I guess.

Automobiles made after WWII were not meant to be user serviceable. Lets face it, gas pumps confuse some people and most guys here never use a service manual. Liability....

An additional 9 cents = hundreds of thousands of manufacturing dollars. Yes, I know, just add the 9 cents to the cost of the car, but they don't seem to want to do that.
yep, it's the bean counters/accountants,
managment want's the extra $0.09 cents profit
constant battles
not the engineers "usually", the engineers
Many would over-engineer everything, if they were allowed to

the mentality I can draw it on/in there, why can't you put it on/in there ? :poke:

Auto Transport Service
Back