• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

flywheel question

Shawn Livingstone

Local time
9:46 AM
Reaction score
Hi.Ihave a flywheel casting number 2264598.Wondering if its a neutral balance.It has 2 half moon cuts on th engine side about 4 inchs long or so.Are these factory cuts to neutral balance it or are these cuts for a extenal balance engine.I have a 318 that i want to use it on.Thanks.

All that number will tell you is what it was for originally. It may well have been rebalanced for lord knows what application. So the only way to know if it is truly neutral balanced is to have it balanced

I would rather have it checked and see what I had before installing, ..................than putting it in and then having problems and having to pull it back out.

your 2264598 fits a 1962/64 b body 10 inch 143 teeth 318, also fit 65/69b and c body 143 teeth 318, also if if a 130 tooth 101/2 inch then it fits a 68/74 a b e body 318/340

Thanks for the info .The flywheel was pretty rusty and when i got it turned it reveiled a lot of heat crackes so im thinkin i might be beter off finding another one anyhow.Dont need it comin apart on me.

Auto Transport Service
Back